Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's finally happened. I am now the proud owner of an '83 300D Turbo Diesel. My hubby flew into So. Cal on Friday and drove back to Utah (pretty much non-stop--except for a stop at the Luxor for a dinner break).
This car has class, even if it is a little older! The body is straight, the engine seemed to check out fine and now here we go with the things that have to be fixed. I have been so impressed with the way everyone has provided help and suggestions to me (going through the buying process) and other owners, I hope you guys can provide some of that sage advice once again :).

Here's the need to fix it before snow hits again list so far :

Cracked passenger side headlight lens cover- not finding it in the catalog

Wiper nozzles seem to be clogged and not spraying

Sliding roof and antennae were working fine in California, but after spending one freezing day in Utah, roof won't sit back into place completely and antennae won't go into extended position.

Hazard light switch seems to be not quite flush into panel and hazard lights don't work.

I know this is a lot of stuff to take in, but I have faith in the combined experience and mind power of this forum's members. Thanks in advance for your help :D

Kim Q.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Congratulations!

Congratulations Kim on your acquisition, you are now an official member of the Mercedes-Benz community ..... with a diesel on top of that! :D

You list of issues is short, so I will chime in on a couple. The crack you mentioned on the passenger side headlight, is it in the glass sealed beam or the plastic rim around the lens? Either way you can purchase a replacement part on our online parts catalog (be sure to take advantage of our special BenzForum discount offer). I expect your broken part is the plastic part around the glass lens, if so, you can find a replacement on the catalog under the category "Body Electrical" and it is called a "Headlight Door".

The washer nossle can be replaced and is found under the same "Body Electrical" catagory. Before you replace the nozzle make sure that the washer pump is working. It is certainly possible that the nozzle is clogged, but is is a good idea to rule out the pump first.

Other members may have suggestions on your other questions. Again congratulation on your purchase.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Congrats on your purchase! I'm sure that with the proper maintenance, you will be very happy with your new car.

As for the hazards, do the signals not work as well?

Your sunroof and antenna problems are probably just a matter of cleaning and lubing. For the sunroof, try a white lithium spray grease.
If that does not get your sunroof closed, there is a manual override in the trunk, and should be outlined in the owner's manual (if you have it).

HTH,

Neil

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Coming together

Thanks for all of the tips. They've been invaluable so far in the "putting it all together phase". The member discount for parts has also been invaluable. So far Marty (the husband) has all of the minor jobs worked out;lights, sliding roof and antennae. He's preparing to replace the oil pan, do a valve job and tackle the joys of replacing hoses. If you ask me, he's enjoying keeping it at home too much.
I am reaping the rewards and benefits of driving such a fine automobile! I have to say that this car (even at 21 years old) is a dream to drive. I've put 300 miles on it so far and have no complaints. Smooth ride, handles the corners amazingly, maintains top speeds when climbing the passes and canyons. I love this car :) Some of my friends think that I'm nuts for driving an older car. I just smile and say, "she's a classic not a clunker". From my real friends I hear things like, "it's a Mercedes, the finest quality ride out there" or commenting on the longevity of the car. Notice who I consider my real friends...
I hope everyone has a Safe & Happy Thanksgiving.

Kim Q.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Sounds like you've both been bitten by the benz bug. Glad to hear it is all working out for you.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
biodiesel

What a small world we live in! My husband is definitely wanting to switch to biodiesel. Part of choosing the Mercedes has to do with that. Please send along any information on how to get in touch with you and the cooperative to the private message box. Thanks :)

Kim Q.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
oops!

Sorry about that. I just noticed that the coop site address was a quicklink. I've checked it out and have sent an email to join. Thank you :D

Kim Q.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts