Benz Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

just bought c230k coupe... need help.

9K views 18 replies 7 participants last post by  99EKhatch 
#1 ·
just like the title says, i just bought a c230 kompressor 2004 model, and i realize that the aftermarket of these cars are relitively small.

i was wondering what companies specialize with the c class kompressor, and if you guys can post the website i would really appreciate that.

so anyways i was trying to turn up the boost of my supercharger, what would you guys recomend i do?

any help will be nice, thank you.

#2 ·
2004 C230 Coupe:Boosting Supercharger pressure

Hi,

I have hot-tanked several cars over the years. The last effort was costly but fun. I over-carburreted it. With fuel injection, you want to be careful with alterations. I understand that the C230 (2003 anyway)s/charger has 11 pounds of boost which is quite a lot. I wouldn't want more boost than that on this 1.8 twin cammer. This supercharger is rock-solid reliable too. Freer-flow exhausts might be possible. Some of the younger techies might have other ideas.

Good luck and enjoy a cool car.

Al :)

#4 ·
At the dealer we replace these superchargers with a troubling frequency due to mechanical failures. I would disagree that they are all that reliable and would not recommend dialing up your boost if reliability is a big issue. Replacements are pretty easy to find if it does go out, but at anything higher than 11 psi, you're creating a giant heat pump for the motor. I think even with a little extra boost, the negative effects from increased heat would not make power gains all that impressive.

#5 ·
C230 Superchargers

Hi,

Well stated, Phaedrus242. I am curious why this inherently stable SC design is prone to failure. I would expect more trouble with the turbocharger units which are more complicated mechanically. What problems have been occurring. It would be helpful for us laymen who could make sure the service folks check them closely during servicing--since I don't do my own servicing anymore. Too much technology. I dont pass too many 18 wheelers so mine gets very little exercise!!

regards,

Al :eek:

#6 ·
In their current design, these units are not designed to be servicable. There's not really much to check for. There is a very faint almost grinding/wailing sound that can be heard from them at idle that oftentimes signifies something is nearing the end of it's life internally. We see the lobes of them all scraped up when the units are pulled off. I blame a significant amount of these problems on heat. 11 psi is a working these little blowers pretty hard as it is. Obviously cost a big factor in the design. I think they would be better served with a slightly larger unit pushing the same boost levels and thereby not working as hard.
There's no guarantee that there will be a problem with it; I obviously only see the broken ones. I'm sure there are numerous vehicles out there that never have issues at all. I believe the estimated service life is around 100,000 miles. They can be rebuilt as on option if they fail, or you could aquire a rebuilt unit. This is obviously not what we do at the dealers, but there are good independants that can exercise that option.

Also, I apologize if my thoughts are somewhat disorganized. I had quite a late night out and starbucks is not really cutting it this morning.

#7 ·
C230 Superchargers

Thanks. Your technical input is most appreciated. I have avoided autos, in the past, which had TURBOS because of their complicated mechanicals and often, instant destruction, such as a new Volvo 740 turbo which' blew up' on a test run. When I was young, I had a VW with a somewhat bored -out engine, an Iskenderian cam and a Judson SC. It was pretty quick for those days(especially for a VW). The Judson(SP?) was noisy but never failed. I will keep my ears upright for any strange whines from the SC. Thanks for your input.
Al :)

#8 ·
The M111 Superchargers are NOT dependable! My Wifes car is on her FIFTH Blower in 27k. It Has the KLEEMANN pulley on it and It Overspins it (The Blower)at high RPMs..Yes with the Larger pulley it will make More power More than 11PSI! and it does create More HEAT ..I Have also added a Larger Air to Air Intercooler to help with the added heat.Also did Several Softwarechanges to Increase The Power curve and correct the Air/Fuel ratio

I Have Taken Apart the (DEFECTIVE) blowers and found the oil level is Zero..they are a Sealed unit..and on another one the bearing race was spun..causing the blades to make contact and then Bye Bye

When I Worked for Mercedes The Blowers did have a HIGH Failure rate!

#9 ·
these cars are 15's second cars right?

anyways does the c230k come with a limited slip differential?

so anything above the stock 11PSI will kill the engine or supercharger?

what do you guys recomend i do to get more power out of it?

my realistic goal is a 12 second car.

by budget isn't exactly great.

im also considering installing an NO2 kit. do you guys what sort of shot the engine can handle?

#10 ·
There isn't much available for the M271 and what there is is expensive. The links above are it. You are not going to get the car near 12 sec with the M271 unless you have unlimited money. There are places that will install an AMG 3.2 V6 and tranmission for ten to fifteen grand. That will get you low to mid 13's and you can tune from there.

No Mercedes has a limited slip differential. MB took the cheap route and fakes it with electronics and the rear brakes. Saves them a ton of money.

An M111 usually can get a 15.8 at the strip. The M271's are a bit slower.

On your engine NOS = BOOM

#11 ·
are you seriouse?

so whats the difference between the M111 engine and the M127? why is one faster than the other?

so i really cant get the car into 12's unless i swap out the engine? i cant do that though cuz it'll void the warranty.

so what do you guys recomend i do to get some time slips cut?

#12 ·
ferrarikiller said:
are you seriouse?

so whats the difference between the M111 engine and the M127? why is one faster than the other?

Answer:There is no M127 engine (hint, it's M271..and the M111 is more powerful)

so i really cant get the car into 12's unless i swap out the engine? i cant do that though cuz it'll void the warranty.

Answer: Your problem started before your 'daddy' even bought you the car if you thought a C-class was going to get you into the 12s. Perhaps a Corvette would have been a better choice? Hey, it doesn't hurt to ask for one does it? :D

#13 ·
gtidan said:
Answer: Your problem started before your 'daddy' even bought you the car if you thought a C-class was going to get you into the 12s. Perhaps a Corvette would have been a better choice? Hey, it doesn't hurt to ask for one does it? :D
Damn that's harsh, and you're not very likely to get you C anywhere near the 12's. There is nothing about this car that really even applies to straight line speed. Maybe consider cone-bashing as an alternative.

#14 ·
hey, anything is possible if you have the money. who everthought hondas would hit single digit quarter mile times? this was unheard of a couple years back. be realistic though, 12's and keeping the warranty is probably not going to happen. you can probably hit one 12 sec time with the right amount of nitrous. but then it would be time to say bye to your 271 motor.

#16 ·
i realize that, that much no2 is VERY dangerouse, and id never put that much into my car.

but isn't there some pulley kits out there that could atleast get my in high 13's or low 14's.

i just hate being stuck at 15.8

i realize this inst a straight line car but im sure that a S/C I4 with a front mount intercooler has some potential to become fast to within respectable 13's.

then who knows from there with all that extra speed with the handling of a mercedes im sure that it'll become a good competitor in SCCA for its displacement class.

#17 ·
You can crank up the boost all you like, the inherent weakness of the supercharger is the large amounts of heat it creates. I doubt you would be able to sufficiently cool the charge with even a very nice liquid to air intercooler. You could probably hit mid 14's with some big dollar bolt-ons and some computer tuning. It's a totally different type of motor than what you encounter in the japanese four bangers that are turning these great times. Also, most of them are turbocharged, which allows for a little more flexibility in tuning and a higher power potential. Your engine was not designed for high RPMs. If you really want to get a fast coupe, source an engine swap from a C32 or take the motor apart and find a good machine shop to start some custom work. You'll also need to find a transmission capable of holding that kind of power. Your six speed can barely hold up to the power of a 112 engine, let alone something capable of propelling your near 3500 lb car down the 1320 at any sort of respectable ET. Anything can be done provided you have the budget for it. I can quite honestly say that the motor swap will be the cheapest option to get some decent power out of your car, and you will need to find some one to SERIOUSLY beef up that trans. All in all, you'll spend more on the upgrades than you did on the car. You would be left with a put-together car with no warranty costing you more than a C32, C55 or a decent used CLK 55 (I am a little biased towards this one, obviously). I don't want to sound like a curmudgeon here, but one of the most important aspects of tuning is having a good tuning platform, which is not really what the C-Coupe is.

#18 ·
If you are going to put in an AMG 32 or 55, you are going to have to buy the five speed automatic transmission with it. The easiest thing is to use the auto.

In the above links Renntech, Carlsson and Vaeth have pulley kits. Vaeth includes a larger more efficient intercooler.

#19 ·
hey, going fast is an expensive hobby. you can probably up the boost with an intercooler and use water/mist injection to cool down combustion chamber temps. throw some slicks on it and gut your car. you might be able to hit 13s. just be prepared to spend some CASH!!! good luck. oh yeah, you might wanna contact the guys at ENDYN(www.theoldone.com). they focus on hondas but they do wonders with roots type superchargers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.