Benz Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am embarassed to admit that I've turned into a geek. I love my car. I even love reading the repair manuel. But, I can't figure out if the 123 and the 116 (which I have) are interchangable. The repair manual I have doesn't list the 300sd specifically, and I can't seem to find one for the 116. Any ideas? Thanks:D

Oh! It's a 1979 d00sd. it's a bit leaky, but my heart goes pitter patter...

·
Registered
584 Posts
As far as the manual is concerned, I believe that much of the info will apply to both cars. Brakes should be the same, as should most other functions. The real concern is the engine number. The 123 diesel was an OM617, as I believe your engine is. You will have to check owners' manuals and engine numbers to be sure.

·
Registered
191 Posts
dawnkerri:

Year: 1979
Model: 300SD
Chassis: 116.12
Engine: 617.95

The 116 is the equavalent to the "S-Class" and the 123 to the "E-Class".

I do not have the chassis manuals, but do have the 617.95 engine information. Let me know if you seek anything specific. I just posted a photo journal of the valve adjustment on my 617.951 engine on my personal web space.

ImportPartsOnline.com our forum sponsor will be readily willing to help you look up and source parts.

-Scott

·
Registered
584 Posts
Yes, I guess I didn't entirely answer the question. The 116 is a bigger car than the 123, but mercedes tends to be very consistent in their locations of items throughout their cars. Basically, Mercedes likes to make a set of chassis and a set of engines, then they mix and match to demand.

So in your case, the manual you have might not be specific to your car, but many of the locations and torque specs will likely apply. Parts interchangability is unlikely, however.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Dawnkerri how is the back seat in your SD? Is it deflated looking or is the padding still there? Lots of the ones I have seen here in Houston have rotten seat padding in the rear seat.

Those W116 SDs are very nice driving cars, I think more so than the newer cars. Certainly the feel a bit faster than the newer W126 SD. I hope you enjoy your car, I had two of those and they are remarkable.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts