Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey- This is a tough one, hope someone out there might know what's going on.

Exposition: Bought 1975 300D in beautiful mint condition, 68k miles. Would always take a few minutes for the glowplug light to shut off. Figured that this means some unknown combination of glow plugs aren't working properly.

So I installed 5 new glowplugs, switching from the factory loop-style that came with my car, to pencil-type that's in all the later models. Bought them from www.dieselgiant.com and installed them exactly according to the pictorial on their maintainence page. They are powered by wiring all of them in parallel, with the positive terminal at the outside tips of the plugs, and the negative terminal taking place by the connection made where they are screwed into the engine.

Got everything set up perfectly, then excitedly hopped in to see how quickly it would preglow now, but the light all of a sudden won't come on anymore inside the car, and to my knowledge the plugs aren't getting any power. Imagine my disappointment.

So I tried to find the fuse. Apparently the fuse is normally very close to where the wire inserts into the first plug, but I didn't see one there at all. So I did as best as I could to trace the wire all the way around and through the firewall to where it inserts into the glowplug relay and as far as I could tell, THERE'S NO FUSE anywhere to be found. So I really don't know what my next move is. Anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
64 Posts
I'm not very mechanically inclined, so I'm just guessing. I believe you must replace your old glow plugs with the same type (loop). By purchasing the newer, pencil type, I think you now have a compatibility problem. If you still have your old ones, try putting them back in and see if the vehicle performed as before.

Good luck.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts