Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just joined the forum tonight so I am new at posts. I replied to another section and may have done so in error. Anyways, I just purchased and installed a K&N filter in my 2004 C230 Sport Sedan 10 minutes ago and then decided to look for info on a forum and found this one. I read a post that said this was not a good idea due to mas air flow sencor malfunctioning. I immediately went back out and removed it and reinstalled the stock filter. I did take the car for a drive about 2 miles and found more engine noise and no real change in power. My "?" is does anyone think I did any damage during my test drive? K&N is out for good.

Thank you

·
Registered
28 Posts
It would be normal to hear more "noise" from you're engine simply because it is breathing more air in. I've read some bad things about K&N air filters. They let more particles of dirt in than stock paper filters which can damage your engine. Accel makes Kool Blue air filters that are similar to K&N, but use more layers of cotton gauze to prevent dirt from getting in your engine. Fram also makes a K&N type filter. Haven't heard much about them. I would recommend the Kool Blue.

·
Registered
28 Posts
This is true that no damage should have happened. I would try to take the K&N back and tell the place you got it from that it made your car run bad.
The oil could cause a mass air sensor malfunction, but it can easily be fixed by taking the sensor off and cleaning it with electrical cleaning spray that you can find at any auto parts store. The oil can collect on the sensor and attract dust which will cause a false reading. If you don't mind cleaning the sensor every oil change, I would get a Kool Blue air filter.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I wonder where this idea came from about the K&N and the mass air??? I have run 100K's miles on Fords with mass air and K&N never having a problem. I don't see any reports about this problem with other cars and mass airs.

Also like the brake light bulbs and the cruse control controversy or the anti freeze controversy.

Kind of reminds me of when there was the argument over detergent vs. non detergent oil, followed by dino vs. synthetic oil. Any quality new car comes with synthetic from the get-go and most others a synthetic blend.

I for one think it is all bunk from folks who will not go with the new.

Regards, NRK

MB 300sdl (206K w K&N, 0W40 Mobil 1, US brake light bulbs)
MB 230SL (200K w 0W40 Mobile 1)
Volvo 760 (245K w K&N, 0W40 Mobil 1)

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Without getting into this arguement again, I take in about 70 MB's per DAY into my shop. K&N=MAF problems on MB's. Maybe not on Fords or some one's uncle's brother's cousin's whatever car that had 400,000 miles and never a hiccup, just on the vast cross section of vehicles that I, a professional, see on a daily basis. Caveat Emptor.

·
Registered
68 Posts
From what I understand, the K&N doesn't produce more power in the MB. It worked wonders on my wife's Camry, but causes MAF problems on my Mazda pickup.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts