Benz Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, at least he took a position. Good for him.

Sorry 'bout the long post Ted, but it can't be linked. From Stratfor:

"Speaking at New York University on Sept. 20, Democratic presidential candidate Sen. John Kerry labeled the invasion of Iraq a "mistake" and laid out parts of his solution for dealing with the Iraq situation. Kerry's statements confirm the direction he has chosen for his campaign: In condemning the war, he has chosen to pursue the votes of the Democratic left, possibly at the expense of those in the center and the undecideds.

Kerry's timing is conspicuous, coinciding with events that will lend extra weight to his remarks.

First, CBS on Monday released a highly publicized retraction on a story about President George W. Bush's National Guard service record -- in essence, apologizing for using unverified memos as source material. In the memos, purportedly written by Bush's superiors in the Guard, the authors claimed they were under pressure to "sugarcoat" his performance and, among other things, criticized Bush's flight skills. Concerns over the authenticity of the documents were raised almost immediately by the Bush camp, which pointed to inconsistencies in phrasing and word processing.

The CBS airing gave Kerry -- who has been on the defensive throughout his campaign, having battled questions related to his Vietnam war record and stance on Iraq -- an opportunity to break out and take the offensive instead. He did this Monday by answering the question that most American voters have been asking -- namely, his ultimate position on Iraq.

There was an added bit of serendipity to his statements -- coinciding as they did with a new videotape that apparently shows the beheading of a U.S. hostage, Eugene Armstrong, by militants claiming to belong to Abu Musab al-Zarqawi's group in Iraq. Kerry's description of the Iraq invasion as a "mistake" on the same day such a video was released well might resonate with a horrified public.

Though this in no way suggests that the timing with the video was intentional -- in fact, it could not have been -- the release of a new USA Today/CNN/Gallup poll that put Bush 13 percentage points ahead of Kerry, 55 percent to 42 percent, might have provided impetus for his bolder speech. The "bounce" that Bush received after the Republican National Convention seems to have held steady, possibly pushing Kerry toward more drastic statements than he has made in the past in efforts to close the gap.

With the speech at NYU, Kerry will have shored up his "left flank" by painting himself as an anti-Bush. But in all likelihood, the gamble will cost him the crucial center.

Though most Americans are not thrilled with the way the war has turned out, there is little evidence that many believe the war itself was a fundamentally bad idea. Now that he has locked down the left, the question is whether Kerry will be able to offer enough, in the way of Iraq solutions or otherwise, to the center to lure their votes away from Bush."

·
Registered
205 Posts
Can't.....read.....any.......more......... :)

Wow, it was a mistake yet he insists on keeping the troops (or some military presence) for 4 more yrs. One would think a peacenik would want to pull out. Pandering to the undecided middle of the roaders?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Definitive about not being definitive about being definitive about not being definitive...............................----->

Blah,...Moving right along. :D

·
Registered
156 Posts
The problem I have with Kerry is the same problem I had with Clinton: Rather than be a LEADER, they base their decisions and agendas on what the polls indicate.

To me, a President has to have more than the ability to make speeches and lick his finger and stick it in the air to see which way the wind is blowing :roll:

·
Banned
357 Posts
Now that he's slipped to 12 points down, Dukakis was doing better than him at this point, he's trying to grab at an emotion of the electorate which only works in france.

·
Registered
125 Posts
He's deperate. I listened to Bob Woodward on Larry King last night on satellite and then a lengthy analysis of why Kerry is going on all of these goofy talk shows. Bush can't do it--it would sully the office. Kerry doesn't even have his supposed 'core votes' anymore so he is pandering to the young and uneducated talk show viewers. A guy with the campaign said this decision was made AFTER the RNC and not an original strategy. One day he is playing responsible patrician politician, the next, Clinton MTV goof. He was funny on Letterman, but reeked of plain hollow pandering.

On the other hand, Bush has leaked that he is going to make a major offensive in Iraq just after the election. After these beheadings, I think most people want to hear this. CBS has all but been caught in bed with the Kerry campaign. I think people knowing Kerry folks broke the rules may bear more on their minds than Bush being a slackass when he was in his early twenties (I speak from personal experience as a slackass in my early twenties).

For the first time, I predict Bush will win the election. It is too late to break another 'scandal.' The public is over the drama and the debates are at hand.

·
Banned
357 Posts
He's getting deeper and deeper. Just for the sake of discussion how about every making one guess regarding his next BIG statement.?

I think he's going to say that there are provable links between the White House-Gulf War-Haliburton similar to the Enron fiasco.

He will also say that Dubbya seeks to eliminate minority scholarships.

minutes ago

By MARY DALRYMPLE, Associated Press Writer

WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. - Democratic presidential candidate John Kerry (news - web sites), citing the war in Iraq (news - web sites) and other trouble spots in the world, raised the possibility Wednesday that a military draft could be reinstated if voters re-elect President Bush (news - web sites).

·
Registered
302 Posts
The neat thing about that site is they claim that Bush has a secret draft agenda and provide a House of Rep website as proof, which sure enough has a bill sponsoring activation o fthe draft.

Which satanic conservative lawmaker has written such an insidious piece of anti-democratic legislation?

Charles Rangle, D-NY.

·
Banned
357 Posts
Ribulose Diphosphate said:
The neat thing about that site is they claim that Bush has a secret draft agenda and provide a House of Rep website as proof, which sure enough has a bill sponsoring activation o fthe draft.

Which satanic conservative lawmaker has written such an insidious piece of anti-democratic legislation?

Charles Rangle, D-NY.
I wonder why he would do that? :twisted:

·
Registered
302 Posts
I heard him defend it on some talking head show--Hardball, maybe?

He said he was absolutely serious--it was not a protest nor embarrasment thing.

He said that a draft was the only fair way for a democracy to be at war. That way everybody's kid, even the children of rich and powerful, stand a chance of being in harm's way. His contention is that politicians have an easy time sending other folks kids to war but if tehir own kids might go, they'd be more reticent.

As far as his argument goes, he's right. IMO one of the major things that stopped the Vietnam war was making the draft fair--a lottery. All of a sudden rich white kids could get drafted out of college and get killed in Vietnam.

Who should bear the burden of defending a democracy? Who should pay the cost of government? Who should make these decisions? What stake should they have in the outcome? All of these are questions asked in Athens a few thousand years ago and are still asked today in every representative democracy on the planet. There are no clear, always-right answers. There's a word for that--when tough decisions are made in the name of others--politics.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Probably trying to discount the effect, should it happen. You can't blame them, really. I mean, even if they got that mad ba$tard it wouldn't really mean that the adminstration suddenly got a flush of competency just as failure to capture him thus far is not a prefect indication of incompetency.

But that's politics.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Apparently the DNC or surrogates are flooding college student emails with this stuff relying on the kids’ inability to figure out how to separate truth from fiction.

As previously noted, the POTUS can't initiate the draft. Congress has to do this. Wrangle and his pals have NO chance of making it happen, but can adequately confuse the issue by having this bill introduced.

The professional military does not want a draft. The education, IQ, moral and overall performance (combat and non) of the all volunteer army is vastly superior to a conscripted army.

Ciao for now

·
Banned
357 Posts
KyGuy nice to see you :!:

It looks like the cream is rising to the top 8)

Excellent analogy!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts