Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone replaced the stock air filter. I found that there is a replacement filter through KN&N. I am used to driving Japanese cars, so I am not sure if the KN filter will make much of an improvement over that of the stock Mercedes filter.

·
Registered
21 Posts
same here, i had a CIVIC and then Eclipse (miss it so much)
and just thought i might as well try one on C230Kc, so i'm picking mine up today.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
A member of another board has reported that a K&N filter loses 3hp over a stock filter on back to back dyno runs on a stock 2.3. A pullied 2.3 show a gain of 2hp with a K&N. I consider +/- 2hp to be within the noise level of the dyno and therefore meaningless. The ITG filter show an increase of about 4 hp on both stock and pullied 2.3's.

·
Registered
35 Posts
K & N bad...

From my experience, the K&N acctully hurts performance. due to it's larger air "though-put". Stock catches more dirt, and is critical to the air fuel ratio. Researchers for Benz set these specs, and by deviating with a aftermarket filter you could be, changing these ratios, messing up your idleing, and performance.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Re: K & N bad...

93mb300ce said:
From my experience, the K&N acctully hurts performance. due to it's larger air "though-put". Stock catches more dirt, and is critical to the air fuel ratio. Researchers for Benz set these specs, and by deviating with a aftermarket filter you could be, changing these ratios, messing up your idleing, and performance.
I don’t know about dirt, but my experience with K&N on rice rockets was good.

The computer adjusts the air fuel mixture depending on the air coming in. And it’s hard to believe that they would control air fuel ratio with a filter.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts