Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey group, this is my first post as I'm a new Mercedes owner. My question is I have a knocking coming from my 1978 280 SE that was described by the dealership as a rocker arm issue. I wondered if there is a way to eliminate this noise. The sound is going to drive me nuts :) Any help would be greatly appreciated. BTW, the engine is strong, with no leaks or smoking at all.

Z

·
0 Posts
Hey group, this is my first post as I'm a new Mercedes owner. My question is I have a knocking coming from my 1978 280 SE that was described by the dealership as a rocker arm issue. I wondered if there is a way to eliminate this noise. The sound is going to drive me nuts :) Any help would be greatly appreciated. BTW, the engine is strong, with no leaks or smoking at all.
Hmmm... Your situation is quite weird! I've been in a noisy engine problem but this is new to me :confused:

·
Registered
9 Posts
This is my first post after recently joining this forum - despite having been a M Benz owner and enthusiast since late eighties.

I'm assuming you are still battling with the sound you described.
If the knocking sound is distinctly from the upper part of the engine, other than worn rocker arms, it could also be a worn camshaft guide or damaged valve spring. Noises from the valve gear in general in the M 110 engine tend however to be more 'chattering' noises rather than 'knocking' per se. Unfortunately however, it could also be a mild piston slap - if the knocking sound is on the heavier side.

Good Luck

1 - 5 of 5 Posts