Benz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a 2002 C240 during the summer time of 2001. The car has about 15,000 miles.

The winter time right after I purchased the car, I discovered that when there is just a light dusting of snow or heavy rain, the car has very little traction and tends to slip/slide and has a lot of difficulty making it up slight slopes.

A friend of mine who owns a 2003 C320 has the same problem.

It has been suggested that the problem may be the tires. I keep my tires properly inflated. I find this disturbing because Mercedes Benz should be equipping their cars with tires that are safe in rain and a mere dusting of snow.

Does anyone else share the same problem or have suggestions on the problem.

Thanks

·
Registered
37 Posts
reddog said:
I purchased a 2002 C240 during the summer time of 2001. The car has about 15,000 miles.

The winter time right after I purchased the car, I discovered that when there is just a light dusting of snow or heavy rain, the car has very little traction and tends to slip/slide and has a lot of difficulty making it up slight slopes.

A friend of mine who owns a 2003 C320 has the same problem.

It has been suggested that the problem may be the tires. I keep my tires properly inflated. I find this disturbing because Mercedes Benz should be equipping their cars with tires that are safe in rain and a mere dusting of snow.

Does anyone else share the same problem or have suggestions on the problem.

Thanks
Hey, reddog!

I live in SW lower Michigan and have had absolutely no problem on snow, ice, slush, whatever. I have a 2003 coupe with stock 16" wheels, all-season tires (Michelin MXV4), and I drive exclusively with Winter Mode switched on. Everything that I have read here and elsewhere seems to be if you have 17" wheels, ditch 'em. If you have 16", make sure the tires are rated (at least) M+S. Snow tires are great, but I sure haven't felt the need to have them yet, and we do know about snow here, with Lake Michigan less than an hour to the West. :!:

Best of luck in your decision.

Tim 8)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Tim,

But those are the tires that the came with the car. So I now have to go and purchase 16" tires?

I live in Washington, D.C. We barely have any snow. Shouldn't the tires that Mercedes Benz sells with the car be able to handle at least that? In less than 1/2" of snow, my car was all over the place. Sigh.

Is there an argument with Mercedes that they should be giving us tires that work. Why did they even pick the 17" tires that are sold with the car? Are they cheap tires?

thanks

·
Registered
263 Posts
Prior to 2003, the C7 option (17" wheels) came with performance summer tires. Its not that they are crappy tires (well, not the Michelins anyway :D ), it's just that they have no business being driven during snow conditions. I belive now MB offers the buyer the option of going with either performance or all-season tires if one buys the C7 upgrade option.

As far as snow, you are not required to do a minus one conversion to 16" wheels in order to purchase snow tires. Based on reading a number of boards, however, it appears that the majority of owners do this option. If you wish to save some money, you can get 17" snow tires. Or you can scrap your summer tires and simply go with all-seasons. But since these are RWD drive vehicles, I would suggest dedicated snow tires. Just MHO.

·
Registered
37 Posts
reddog said:
Hi Tim,

But those are the tires that the came with the car. So I now have to go and purchase 16" tires?

I live in Washington, D.C. We barely have any snow. Shouldn't the tires that Mercedes Benz sells with the car be able to handle at least that? In less than 1/2" of snow, my car was all over the place. Sigh.

Is there an argument with Mercedes that they should be giving us tires that work. Why did they even pick the 17" tires that are sold with the car? Are they cheap tires?

thanks
No, they're not cheap. What they are designed for is performance and looks. The all-season tire is not the best in the snow, nor is it the best for handling, but it is acceptable in both of these areas. Your tires are probably far superior to mine on dry pavement, but when the conditions are poor, not so good. I understand your frustration. It's not cool to spend that much on a car, even a used one, and then find that you need to spend even more $$$. The good news is once you make that initial investment, your tires will last twice as long, because they're only on the car half of the time. As long as you have the room to store your four wheels, it's not that big of a deal.

I am not too familiar with the c240. Does it have a switchable winter/summer mode? If so, make sure you are in winter mode. I made the mistake of leaving summer mode on one day last month and I thought I was going to die, the car was that bad! As soon as I remembered to throw the switch, everything was fine.

Hope this was helpful.

Tim 8)

·
Registered
94 Posts
I live North of Montreal and I have a lot of experiance with snow and very cold temperatures.
This week the temp was -20F ... :cry:

Actually the traction is controlled by the ESP. If your wheels sleep than the ESP will reduce engin's force on the wheels. ESP works perfectly and never disable it (unless you purposely want to spin around).

To improve the traction the only thing to do is to buy appropriate tires. For instance I have Michelin Icetrack tires (I got them with the MB). They are bad in the snow. As bad as summer tires. Everybody starts faster in the snow than my car. Without ESP I wouldn't be able to start. However in very cold temp without snow I have a very good traction on ice.

Next year I will try to get studded tires. In Quebec they are legal. They give the best traction performance. The only problem is that they are noicy and you can't ride them above 90mph. But in 5'' snow 90mph is already enough. I used to have them on my old Dodge Stealth. I bought the studded tires at Wall Mart (were cheap and good) :lol: .
Once a stupid guy on an SUV was 2 feet in my ass in 3'' deep snow on the highway. I accelerated without problem to 80mph. The guy stopped following me at 50mph.

Unfortunately Michelin is bad for winter but they are good for summer.
Goodyear has great high performance winter tires for snow and ice.
Have a look on them.
So everything is in your tires no matter what is your car.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Not sure if theyre available over there but Vredstein now do two winter performance tyres. The Wintrac is currently being used by a UK car magazine on the Volvo V70R (250+ BHP) (previously shod with Pirelli PZero Rosso's)

So far they reckon they are much better in the wet, with dry handling virtually on par with the PZeros. Noise levels perhaps slightly higher. Price half that of the Pirellis !

The wider the tyre the worse it is in the snow - my previous BMWs were terrible -the 255/35/18 Dunlop SP9000s were slightly better than the 245/40/17 Contis though. Switched Conti rears to Yokohama AVS Sports which were awesome until the first sign of snow. My fathers 16inch Conti shod C270 has no issues, especially in winter mode. Hope my 17inch Michelin Sport shod CLK is similar this winter.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Traded my C230k for a Volkswagen Passat W8 4motion (all wheel drive). Drove in snow the other day and it didn't flinch. Has the comfort and size of an E class too. So far... not looking back!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What is the difference between all-season and all-performance tires. Why didn't Mercedes sell us the cars with all-season? Is the car performance really that different?

·
Registered
31 Posts
reddog said:
What is the difference between all-season and all-performance tires. Why didn't Mercedes sell us the cars with all-season? Is the car performance really that different?
I'm sure that it has to do with cost. The Michelin Pilot Sport A/S's are ~10% more expensive than the normal Pilot Sports that MB placed on my vehicle.

In San Diego, I really have no use for A/S's!!! :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
surfee93 said:
reddog said:
I'm sure that it has to do with cost. The Michelin Pilot Sport A/S's are ~10% more expensive than the normal Pilot Sports that MB placed on my vehicle.

In San Diego, I really have no use for A/S's!!! :)
Yeah, but who REALLY wants to drive in the warm sun everyday, anyway!?! :D :wink: :D

Tim 8)

·
Registered
31 Posts
tsberkey said:
Yeah, but who REALLY wants to drive in the warm sun everyday, anyway!?! :D :wink: :D

Tim 8)
Hey man, I'll have you know that we had some drizzle yesterday - true, not enough to be considered measurable rainfall, but any dirt/dust that one might have had on their vehicle is now blatantly apparent!!! :wink:

And it's not that warm- it's 4PM and 63*... If I were to go outside, I think I might have to put on some type of long sleeve shirt on...

·
Registered
37 Posts
surfee93 said:
Hey man, I'll have you know that we had some drizzle yesterday - true, not enough to be considered measurable rainfall, but any dirt/dust that one might have had on their vehicle is now blatantly apparent!!! :wink:

And it's not that warm- it's 4PM and 63*... If I were to go outside, I think I might have to put on some type of long sleeve shirt on...
Evil, Surfee, Evil!!! :twisted: :lol:

Tim 8)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So, Mercedes could have put all season tires on instead of all performance? The only barrier to them is cost. Would Mercedes argue taht all season tires do not perform as well as all performance tires?

thanks

·
Registered
125 Posts
C230 Winter Tires

Hi

Like I note in other responses on this site, I use Pirelli P6 all seasons, all winter and they work great with the Winter mode on and ESP engaged. But for heavy snow get snow tires.

al

·
Registered
37 Posts
Alright, I've been waiting for this one!!! Tuesday, we got hit with eight inches of snow while at work. After brushing off my car, my coupe (with stock wheels and stock all-season Michelins) came out of the unplowed parking lot without an ounce of trouble and made it all the way home on plowed and unplowed roads without even a hiccup. Other than the icy hills, the ESP light rarely even came on. I was very worried about this car in October, but now that the first major storm has hit, I am convinced it can handle anything that any of my previous FWD cars could have.

Tim 8)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts