Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
oil cap leaks on the 300D.

upon removing it and feeling the rubber seal it is hard as a rock. this tells me that this must be the problem.

can you get these rings new from somewhere? or do you have to buy a whole new cap? i'm taking it to a mechanic next week to adjust the valves and do all the other tune up stuff and get the car on a solid footing for ongoing maintenance.

can i just tell the mechanics that it leaks and they'll have a new seal to stick in there?

thanks for any advise

·
Registered
453 Posts
Yes it is possible to purchase just the gasket. On my '80 300SD I found that the prior owner had apparently added a new gasket twice to the oil filler cap without taking the old gasket out. It had at least three gaskets in place and all were very hard. I wanted to retain the original metal style cap so I removed the old brittle gaskets and put a new gasket in place. We offer the gaskets on the catalog and you can see the gaskets at this link.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
leaking again

the new gasket solved the leak for a few days, but when i got the mechanics shop today, it was leaking again!

Ernie at AutoMiester II says that it is because that original metal cap warps - and even the new gasket will leak. So we are replacing it with the new plastic cap.

·
Registered
15 Posts
my new plastic cap leaks

ad the same leak. just enough to be annoying but not quite dripping. replaced with a new plastic cap and it is the same after a few weeks. oh well.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the plastic cap replacement solved it and it does not leak for me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts