Benz Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just drove my 06 S430 from GA to NYC. It drove well. Every now and then I can tell it was not shifting correctly, I would pull over, turn the car off, restart and drive and it would be fine. But now for two days it has not shift from 2nd to 3rd at all. I’m pushing almost 4K rpms and only going maybe 40mph.....any suggestions to solve this issue before I take it to the mechanic?

·
Registered
2 Posts
If you're mechanically inclined and/or interested in fixing it yourself read on. For me its a no-brainer as I'm a Mechanical Engineer and been fixing all my cars since I started driving 50-years ago.

My wife's 2011 ML350 with 85K periodically started going into limp mode due to failed Wheel Speed Sensors (yes 2, both in back). Moisture and road salt finds its way into the cheaply glued sensor and causes corrosion. Sometimes works, sometimes sensor output fails. This only gets worse with time. My max speed was 18 MPH. And sudden failure can occur anytime, even in rush-hour traffic on the highway. M-B considers their machines to be more important to protect than life and safety of people buying and driving them. This failure did not trigger a Check Engine Light and needed deeper diagnostics. Recommend you invest in iCARSOFT diagnostic tool must be specific to your veh thou (cost about $150). Connect to ODBII port under the steering wheel. Find wheel speed screen, drive the veh and see if all the sensors show same speed. When malfunction happens, you'll see which wheel reads different and a diagnositc code will be thrown. If not wheel speed sensor(s) maybe transmission speed sensor.

This may or may not be speed sensor failure, you need to retrieve diagnostic faults to even start thinking about trouble-shooting it yourself. Dealer will charge about $350 to retrieve codes, give you a print out. This print out will have all the likely reasons for codes which all it is, is pre-programmed text. And will give you a retail price to fix all the possible items on the list. Expect the quote to be astronomical.

BTW, my non-OEM sensor installed 2-yrs ago cost $7.07 on Amazon (more now due to COVID) fit perfectly and works flawlessly. I can change one every year for the next 40-yrs and still have money leftover for the cost of one OEM sensor and dealer installation price.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts