Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I've always been a fan of the E class made 86-95 and am looking at a 95 E300 Diesel. The car seems to be in great shape even at 140K miles. What else should I look for in particular? Carfax says the car is a one owner and this one is at a dealer so it must have been a trade.

The only other issue is the asking price seems high to me: $12,900. Isn't that way out of line? Shouldn't it be in the 8-9K range? Please let me know.

Thanks guys

·
Registered
584 Posts
It seems high, but prices can vary widely from one region to another. In my hunt for a new(ish) car, I have seen that the online "book" values tend to be a little higher than the true market seems to be as found in the classifieds sections. My specific hunt is for a CLK320 cabrio in the greater L.A. area (see my post in the off topic area).

I have also seen that the market value of diesels in California is a bit higher than book simply because California frequently does not allow the new sale of many diesel models thus forcing people to import from other states.

As one would do in real estate, I have been using other cars on the market as comparables to help with negotiation as well as determining whether my expectations are realistic.

Good luck!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
initial price discussion

After initial discussions with the dealer I've got him down to $11,500

Kelley Blue Book shows RETAIL for this car at $8700.

I am looking at an E420 with 50K lower mileage for $8600.

Does the Diesel command such a higher premium?

The salesman says he can get 10K for the car at an auction.

What gives? How can he get more than KBB retail at an auction?

I hate feeling like I am being taken advantage of just because I want this car.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Using zip 22203 (Arlington, VA) KKB prices this car out at 8,700 retail and with zip code 07604 (Hasbrouck Heights, NJ) prices it at 11,300.

I wonder why it's such a difference given the two places are only 200 miles apart?

Sounds like a new job I should have, buy a car in zip 22203 and sell it in zip 07604.

·
Registered
64 Posts
To me, the question about value would be "how much is it worth to you?". What I mean is, if you intend to keep the car for a short time, then sell it...the asking price IS probably too much. On the other hand, if you intend on keeping it a long while, then I'd think you would "get your money out of it" either by the enjoyment of the vehicle, the prestige of it, or the possible economic advantage of the diesel engine (fuel efficiency and/or durability).

Good luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts