Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the forum, and a relatively new Mercedes owner. I bought an '80 240d 6 months ago and have full confidence it will run for ever.(Knock on wood) Which is what I wanted. However, it is the slowest car i have ever been in, or heard about.
The "baby's mama" is looking to spend about $10-12K for a nice used Mercedes. We're thinking of something with under 80k miles. I am wondering a little about the performance, reliability and the cost of maintenance of a e class vs an ml.
What would you buy? I guess that's is what I'm asking.
Thanks,
Brian

·
Registered
77 Posts
Forget about a ML, one of the worst Mercedes as far as reliability is concern. To many analysers, the best E-Class body/performance/cost/reliability they've made to date remains body W210, especially from 2000 to 2002. Despite some A/C real problems, I remain extremely satisfied with my purchase; my only regret, not having bought it used as my 2000 car with almost 100 000 miles now worth much less than $20 000, while I had payed over $80 000 for it new with all the options and taxes here in Canada...

·
Registered
2 Posts
95 E320 Wagon

Looking for a newer E-Class for a family car? As the poster suggested, the M class isn't truly a Mercedes (its built here in the U.S. - you would be better off with a used Ford Expedition). My wife and I were seriously looking into a new wagon (2000-2004) but after hearing about more than a few expensive electronics issues we decided on a 1995 E320. I have a 1995 E300D which has spoiled me to some degree as while the wagon has a huge amount of space for a family and has considerably more power, the fuel economy leaves much to be desired (16 in the city and 24 on the highway vs. 25-32 for the diesel). Now I got a good deal on the car but spent about $4,000 in repairs bringing the car up to top notch condition. Still, the 1995 chassis/engine/electronics ensemble is very hard to beat in terms of reliability, performance and economy.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts