Benz Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to know what I should be looking for in an ML series vehicle around 100,000 miles which may pose mechanical failure.For example, mass airflow sensor speed sensor etc. which may be a known issue with these vehicles at a certain mileage.I am currently looking at a 2011 ML 350 gas version with less than 100,000 miles. Maintained well. Carvana listing on auto trader. Nothings been replaced just looks like maintenance

·
Registered
5 Posts
I would like to know what I should be looking for in an ML series vehicle around 100,000 miles which may pose mechanical failure.For example, mass airflow sensor speed sensor etc. which may be a known issue with these vehicles at a certain mileage.I am currently looking at a 2011 ML 350 gas version with less than 100,000 miles. Maintained well. Carvana listing on auto trader. Nothings been replaced just looks like maintenance

·
Registered
5 Posts
Beware the timing chain system. The guides can fail and then the engine is toast. Mercedes has a problem with this. I lost my 230C Kompressor due to this defect. You will get no help from Mercedes.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2011 ML350 4-Matic, purchased used off-lease with 24K miles, now it has very easy 87K. Since I'm a mechanical engineer I always do my own maintenance on all the cars I ever owned, I enjoy it.

Here are few problems I had: this vehicle was never overloaded but one of the rear springs broke (note: no air suspension), had similar failure on 2006 VW Passat. Seems German steel isn't sturdy enough for New England road salt or not that strong after all. Tires don't last as long as expected due to veh being very heavy. Had to replace Michelin Premier LTX tires after driving less than 30K. Alignment and inflation were and are always correct. My wife's and mine driving style and temperaments are very easy on the car. One of the alloy rims has a porosity issue and always since we had the vehicle, looses air, even now with brand new Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza Plus XL. Not much, only about 1 psig/week but still a nuisance. Good to have a compressor in the garage. Thermostat sticks open too long bringing in "Warming too slowly" message, especially in cold weather. This can mess up the fuel mixture, dump too much unburned carbon out and eventually cause Catalytic Converters to fail. Both rear Speed Wheel Sensors failed ironically within a week of each other putting the vehicle into Limp Mode. This was very concerning as it can happen at any speed at any time. Even on the highway w/o warning and veh will only go 18 MPH to protect itself, never mind the occupants they're expandable. Intake manifold flap runner lever made from plastic broke. This screws up the variable "tunnel" length causing drivability issues. Front passenger door locking mechanism fails to auto close, have to push down on lever. Center console latch broke and it won't open. Field mice love to chew on soy-based wires that Mercedes sources for their vehicles. All these problems are minor but quite common. Dealer costs to repair are astronomical.

If you intend to do your own maintenance I recommend you get iCarsoft Scanner specific to MB, it only costs about $130 and will more than pay for itself the very first time a Check Engine Light or other dashboard light comes on. On the good side, we didn't have any serious problems with the veh at all. Battery is original (10yrs). Paint quality is excellent. Interior although very hard to touch and sit on is holding up well. My wife wants to sell the car because its 10 years old, and against my best advice, wants another MB. Status symbol syndrome I suppouse.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts