Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 300D that has low oil pressure. If I rev it up, it will get to 45, but at idle it registers nothing.

What should I check, or should I just give up and get a Maybach?

·
Registered
584 Posts
How many miles on the car? How long has it been since the last oil change?

First of all let's establish that there should be a bar of pressure for every 1,000 rpm. Normally, I'd say to check the pressure sensor, but your car has a direct oil line going to the engine guages. Check the gauge for leaks. You might also want to try connecting a different gauge.

Assuming high miles, try getting some engine flush and running it through the system before changing the oil, as some crud could be gumming up the works. I should probably do this every now and then too, but don't.

If that fails, then you probably have a systemic problem, either bearings are very worn, or the pump is going bad. Either way, plan on dropping the oil pan. An oil pump is the easier fix, bearings are a bit more difficult.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It SAYS 250,000 miles, but the car was salvaged and I belive the engine is not original. On mopars you can check the block number against the VIN, is there something similar for Mercedes?

I get some pressure, and have already changed the oil to synthetic, which seems to help a bit.

I've dropped the pan once (to replace it, the oil pickup rubber thing was broken), and was not overjoyed with the job.

I think it is running well enough, and probably will just hope it doesn't explode for a few thousand more miles. :roll:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Low oil pressure could be a big problem or minor. Big problems if oil pump is out of order-if you don't fix the problem the engine will be dead; engine bearings are gone-engine life goes to zero. Minor problem is if oil pressure sensor out of order. Try to change the oil with a 20-w 50 one. Normally the oil pressure should be higher.
Luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts