Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I own a 1999 E55 AMG and recently the check engine light has came on. When I got the car looked at the fellow at the shop said it was the Mass Air Fuel Sensor that had gone bad and needed to be replaced. I was wondering if this has happen to anyone before and was wondering if anyone had any feed back or how much it had cost them, just to see a comparison. Thank you :roll:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So now what i am wondering is that if it is safe to keep driving the car even though the check engine light is on and this is the only problem, becasue it seems like it is just a sensor problem, not an actual problem with the air and fuel mixture?

·
Registered
678 Posts
Your ok driving it around for alittle bit. It's just gonna run like crap. I wouldn't keep driving with it as you continue your life. Usually your car would just hesitate alittle. Your check engine light was most likely caused by a mixture adaption code. Your engine adapts your A/F mixter, and it has an adaption number. 1.00 if perfect stoiciometric (Spelling error!). Usually when your mass sensor starts going bad, it'll climb, as the engine is trying to adapt to the bad sensor. But once it hits 1.30, check engine light comes on. You can continue driving it since the air/fuel ratio really isn't way off, just off enough to make the car run like poo and partial or full throttle. If it gets bad enough that the engine starts misfiring, it'll just shut cylinders down to prevent it. In that case, if you drive it along time (months probably), you may overheat a catalytic converter (also common to go bad on 210's).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea, I just turned it in today to get it fixed, it is costing me around 370, 150 for the labor and the rest for the parts. I don't know if that a reasonable amount but I think i will just have to deal with it. I was wondering if there are any major problems with the 1999 E55 AMG models down the road? Thank you for your help.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Most of your 210's don't have any serious problems. Only really common problems with your car maybe, MAF sensor which you just had. BTW, you paid probably about average what everyone pays for that. Front lower control arm bushings usually start cracking my 100k miles. And like all 722.6 transmissions like what you have, they tend to leak at the electrical connector. Alot of the naturally aspirated 55's like yours can have problems with carbon build up in the combustion chambers causing an insane knock if you baby these cars around and only drive them on short trips. Other than that, E55's are awesome cars.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
The cars will have much fewer problems if you drive the hell out of them. You do the car no favors by babying it or letting it sit in a garage. It was designed to be driven hard everyday. Also, you will have problems with a leaking radial seal in the steering rack that wil cause a humming sound of sorts when turning the wheel. Aside from the noise it won't really hurt anything. Plan on the diff springing a leak avery 20K or so. Ball joints tend to go out quicker than on most vehicles and the afforementioned lower control arm bushings are a little less than durable. They are servicable, so don't get taken for new arms by a less than qualified shop. Stay up on your maintenance, change the trans fluid every 50K (no matter what the dealer says, it is not a "sealed" unit). Get some one with a STAR tester to change the fluid thought, as the temperature levels have to be monitered precisely through the actual values screen to achieve a proper measurement. Expect to pay close to $300 or so for this. My 722.6 gave up around 50k (not the norm), but AMG reinforced or not, they need to be taken care of.

·
Registered
24 Posts
somthing that i have noticed on e55 is that they all burn up k1 k2 k3 and b1 inside the trans i have also noticed that they break the f2 roller clutch even though they have the big on in it they still break it. i have been updating them with my own personal mod by mixing and matching steels in the clutch packs to make the clearences tighter than the factory can get them for b1 k1 and k2 other than that e55 have the same problems that all other 210 chassies have

1 - 8 of 8 Posts