Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, The e320 is a 2002.
The other day after starting the car and letting it warm up, I went to go down the road, I shifted the car into D, and the car jolted slightly, I didn't think too much of it at first, but as I was driving down the road the car would not leave first gear, I tried to use the tiptronic to shift with no luck low cost color copies online near me .
I stopped the car, turned it back on and it was then fine.
The issue then happened this morning after a few days of no use. Again turning car off and restarting, it worked.
Car has 203,000km/124,000miles; it has been regularly serviced etc.
Read possibly because of a weak battery?
Or the device that is used for the car to 'talk' to the transmission? I'm unfamiliar with the name.
Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks

·
Administrator
878 Posts
First thing is to check the ATF level, if it's low that's what happens.

·
Registered
86 Posts
What on earth is the "low cost color copies online near me" part about? Did you do that or did the BenzForum website insert it?
My 99 CLK 320 did similar but locked in 2nd gear. It did it, then was fine for a while, then did it again, then more often and so on until it was suck in 2nd for good. It was the TCU (Transmission Control Module), which was under the carpet of the pass side floor about where yours toes would be. Under the carpet was a plastic cover, pull that out and there it was, an alum box maybe 5" square and an inch thick? They say they're coded a certain way so you have to be sure to buy one that matches your car or same tranny code or something. The place on ebay I bought mine knew what I needed and it worked. The dealer wanted some redonlulas $ for it, but $200 used on ebay.
I also read that some trans will wick fluid up the copper wires to the the TCU which causes problems. Mine was dry but obviously had some kind of issue.
Of course that's my car so I'm only assuming yours is the same or similar.
Post your findings so others can bennie from it...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts