Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope this experience will help other as I could not find anything posted when I had this problem.
My 2002 ML500 is a great vehicle, but the horn just stopped working. I pulled the relay and swapped it with another in the box. Nothing. The horn seemed to be next to the fuse box on the firewall, I removed it and jumped power from the battery and it worked fine. I could hear the relay clicking, so I assumed the horn contacts in the wheel were fine. I finally found another horn under the driver side wheelwell near the front bumper. This horn was in bad shape from the poor location it was in. I tested it and it was no good. I looked up replacements online and from the local MB dealer. I finally found a direct replacement from NAPA of all places, it was 14.00 and has a lifetime replacement on it. Less than the 80.00 the dealer wanted and was a no brainer to install. Seems that if one horn goes, they both stop functioning. Hope this helps someone out there.

·
Registered
678 Posts
That's something I didn't know. Practically all MB horns are wired in parallel. So if one goes bad, the other one usually works just fine. I haven't seen too many ML horns fail. I think of the few that I have seen, it was the relay that was bad. It's kinda interesting to know that their wired in series. I'll keep that in mind next time I run into one.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts