Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I am new to the forum and a new onwer of used ML320, 1998.
I have a few questions and would greatly apritiate if you could help me out.
1. The car has 50,000 miles. What type of service should I be looking at in the near future?
2. Any particular issues that are common and I need to pay attention to?
3. Are these cars back in 1998 were offered as All Wheel Drives or were there 2 wheels as well?

Please let me know.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
At 50K on a '98 (if there is no record of these services being performed), you will likely need to do the plugs, fuel filter, coolant flush and brake fluid renewel. I would have everything checked over for leaks and general condition of the suspension components.

There are a lot of issues with early build ML's. Just check through the pages here as they are very well documented.

The ML was only ever available as an AWD vehicle.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Phaedrus242.
the car has all the records from day one. I will double check what was recently done and follow your advice to make sure that whatever was missed is taken care of. I have also searched the forum for common problems and found them all. It is very helpful. Thanks again.

Where can I find some info. on the extended warranty from Benz for early ML's due to high Oil Consumption? Can extended warranty be purchased at this time?

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
The oil sludging problem manifests itself as oil loss. If you burn more than 1 liter/1000km (approx 1 qt/660 miles) you need to have an oil consumption test done at the MB dealer. They drain the oil and replace it, then take a graduated measurement. You drive for 600-1000 miles and it is measured again. If it is determined that oil consumption is excessive, the repair can be initiated, provided service records for all maintenence work are provided. You can google "ML oil sludge" to find more detailed explanations but that's really the only aspect the consumer needs to be aware of.

An extended warranty, although HIGHLY recommended, wil be expesive for your vehicle. Your mileage is climbing and the vehicle is out of factory warranty now. You may try MBP, as they are my personal favorite of the aftermarket warranty companies I deal with. I don't know how long of coverage you will be able to purchase, maybe only to 100k.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks again.

In your opinion what oil grade should I be using for this car? I am planning on using synthetic. Any recommendations?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is 0-40 good in California, San Francisco area? In here the coldest it gets is ~36 and hotest is 95. In the Sierra Nevada in winter time it will get cold ~27 and a bit colder but not much.
I have also noticed that you have mentioned in other posts that transmission oil should not be changed. In some other places I have found that it is recommended to change the transmission oil every 60k. Any advice?
Do you know any good independant Mercedes shops in the Sillicon Valley/San Francisco areas?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
On the record, you should be changing the trans fluid. It is big $$ and needs to be performed by a MB dealer or a facility with a MB SDS machine. The level is so important and can only be determined correctly with the diagnostic computer. Only MB fluid should be used. There is no exception to this.

0W-40 is what all of our Porsches and MB's get, regardless of the time of year. Just my opinion, as everyone has one on proper oil. In all the years that we've used this (since it became available), we have never had any issues.

And yeah, i don't know any shops out there personally. Closest i could recommend would be in Bend and Eugene oregon, which is not going to be very helpful.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts