Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, First post on this site...anyways...My 1999 ML320 tranny just broke this weekend, and i had the dealer estimate how much they would charge for it to be replaced...he said it would cost roughly 6200 to 7000 dollars, this seems pretty high for a tranny in my opinion...but the question is does anyone know where i can find on the web sites that sell used or remanufactured trannies? i really dont want to pay that much....
thanks, chris

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
In all my years with MB, I have never once found a company that did a decent job aftermarket remanufacturing a 722.6 transmission. This is not to say it can't be done, but I have had no less than 20 different providers send me transmissions for poor quality extended warranty companies trying to save a buck, and every time, we end up putting in a MB reman (and they pay the labor twice, plus two transmissions). The 722.6 is a fickle beast and can be put together many ways, but only one of them is right. You can save a thousand dollars with some cheapo reman, but the warranty is not the same and you will likely be doing the same job in a year or two, if not soon after. It is unfortunate that yours died so early; the 722.6 in my C grenaded at around 50K. I am fortunate enough to work at the dealer, so I rebuilt it myself with MB parts (and a little help from a much more experienced man than myself). If it were me, I would complain as loud as possible to whomever would listen, then proceed to bite the bullet and get the job done right the first time. BTW, the pricing you've got is right in line with what it should be at a dealer. I am about $1000 over that, but my large metro area commands a little higher labor rate than the national average.

For what it's worth, the reman units are of the later versions, with the bugs from the earlier models worked out. They are rock solid reliable in their later incarnations, although it may require an updated transmission control module to function on you particular vehicle.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts