Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its Friday!!! Something is wrong with my ML430 driver side window. It will go down perfectly fine but when I try to close the window it delays and now it wont even come up. Does anyone know why this would happen. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I can say beyond the shadow of a doubt that your window switch cluster has gone bad. This is the most notorious failure that ML's are burdened with. It seems to happen every year or two to every ML I've ever dealt with (which is a lot). A new switch cluster should be around $60.00 at the dealer. If you want to try and install it yourself, pull everything out of your center console storage. Take the two screws out of the bos and remove it. Remove the two screws sitting on the front edge of the now vacant space for the box. Using a wedge of some sort (even a little screwdriver if you're careful not to scratch the wood) pull the trim ring up from around the gearshift. Now pry up on the entire wooden panel and remove it (it may take a little effort, it is quite unlikely you'll break it if you exersice a modicrum of caution). The switch pack has four little plastic tabs holding it to the wood panel. depress those with a small screwdriver and remove the switches. Be sure to note where the electrical connections plug into the switches, as you can install them wrong. Check the wiring harness for one little lone wire with a connector on it that may be wrapped up in the wiring harness. THis is a little better ground which MB once thought would help the longevity of the switches. I can't say if there is a lot of truth to that, but pull that out and hool it up to the middle of the switches (you'll see where it goes). Install in reverse order and revel in the fact you just saved an hour's labor charge at the dealer. Easy. After doing this once, you'll be able to swap them out in less than 15 minutes. Good luck.

Also, I changed the title of your post so that others might be able to locate this information using the search function, as it is such a common problem.

·
Registered
1 Posts
ml430 window fix

today I tried just what was suggested earlier, however, my switch still did not respond leaving my window still open. I then resulted to taking the door panel off since I would not change the switch for another couple days, pulled the weather guard back and found the two wire harness plug leading to my window motor. Next I cut those two wires temporarily in order to connect 12 volt source to them causing the window to role up. at first it just hummed but that just required me to reverse the polarity or order and then prexto the window closed. A little details-- remember to disconnect the harness at the bottom that connects to the panel light as well as the door pulley. do not be scared it is easy to put back on just stretch it and move toward the bottom of the connection point.:roll:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts