Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do I have a unique problem?
The radio fades in and out of stereo mode. Is as if I'm outside the range of the station, but I'm not. The dealer said the Ambience setting was the problem. Reset the radio to standard still does it. Cd is fine.
Yesterday I start the car and no volume at all, cd,tape, radio....nothing.
Today, its ok...Stereo/mono still pops on and off though. Any thoughts? :twisted:

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
The radio reception on FM will cut in and out of stereo if the signal gets weak...that is, it's easier to recieve a mono signal than a stereo one. I really couldn't say without looking at the vehicle. This is a common occurance on 208s (including mine), but I haven't heard of too many 163s doing it.

As for the total loss of sound, what I imagine is your D2B ring (the fiber optic loop connecting MCS, CD, Voice Command and Phone) is not configured properly. It is entirely possible that the specified and actual values differ and the system sees it as a fault in the ring. This happens very often when a CD changer is installed and the computer is not informed of the change. It will work for a while, then start causing problems. There is likely a code for set/actual values of the D2b ring being different. I would have the dealer check the actual values of the ring and go from there.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Station

The station does not seem to matter. I'm 11 miles from the tower, awesome signal, metro area. Seems like a short at times. Kinda pops in and out. The other day the volume adjusted itself to the max and nobody touched it. Then the left side speakers went to all bass. My guess is a short/piched wire. Going back in for service on the 7th. I love this truck, just wish it had less issues. I think its a little too complex for its own good.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
It seems like you need a new MCS unit. There are so few instances of shorts/pinched wires on these vehicles I can't even remember the last time I dealt with one. Some of the MCSs are just bad and need to be replaced. It is also possible there is an internal fault with your amp. Competant testing should reveal the real cause. Keep us updated...

·
Registered
1 Posts
You are definitely not the only one

Rhodeislander,
I have the exact same issue. I started as the radio turning way up as i stopped at lights, and then going back down as I started up again. I then noticed that the radio or any function for that matter would stop playing and an S would appear for a second in the upper right corner of the display. Now nothing at all, the radio is on , but nothing comes out. Is this possible this is a speed sensitive, switch issue as i heard it clicking beneath the dash and the radio would come back on in the beginning?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Rhodeislander,
I have the exact same issue. I started as the radio turning way up as i stopped at lights, and then going back down as I started up again. I then noticed that the radio or any function for that matter would stop playing and an S would appear for a second in the upper right corner of the display. Now nothing at all, the radio is on , but nothing comes out. Is this possible this is a speed sensitive, switch issue as i heard it clicking beneath the dash and the radio would come back on in the beginning?
I found the radio itself was defective, something about a short in the amplifier loop?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts