Benz Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a link to the "model history" of Mercedes? I'm especially interested in the "genealogy", if you will, of the modern models. For instance, I drive a 190E. What's the difference between that and a 190D. When that model was discontinued, what "replaced" it. You know, that sort of stuff. TIA.

·
Registered
584 Posts
I wish I did know of a good refernce like what you are looking for. This may not totally answer you question as it relates to your 190, but here goes....

The model numbers, at least in US spec cars seem to follow a rather loose structure. Usually, the body style (or class) of the car is determined by the letters. The sl class (for example) is the convertible sportscar, with the exception of the original gullwings. The number on the car usually denotes the engine size, for exaple the 300SL is the convertible sportscar with a three liter engine. The 500SL is the same body with a five liter engine.

There are, of course, exceptions. For example there was the 450SEL 6.9 which was a 6.9 engine in the SEL body (the SEL being the longer wheelbase version of the SE, by the way). And similarly the 300SE 6.3.

For diesel engined cars, the "E" will typically be replaced with a "D".

It seems that many names keep with the above convention in europe, but change for us americans. For example, my '87 300D has the 3.0 liter diesel engine as the name implies. My '93 300D (with identical body)is badged with the additional "2.5TURBO", though in europe I believe the same car is simply called a 250D.

Now your 190E is a bit of an abberation, at least in its naming scheme. It is rarely found over here with a 1.9 engine, and is not what is considered to be an "E" class. It is more commonly called the "190" bodystyle.

If you want to be even more specific to some, and confusing to others, you can refer to the chassis style number. My two current Mer-B's are the W124 (or 124) chassis. My previous generation diesel was a w123 body (or chassis). Your 190E is A W201 chassis, and the next car I want to get is the W210 chassis diesel. I am not sure how these chassis numbers have come about, since they do not seem to be entirely sequential, nor related to wheelbase. For example, I believe I read somewhere that the W201 designed served as a base for the W124,which is much larger and non-sequential.

I believe the 190 run was replaced by the slightly larger "C" class, whose name may better define its own genre.

Hope this helps,

-Neil

1 - 2 of 2 Posts