Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Turning a '69 Roller into a porta-potty pumper.

They showed the brake system on that thing -- wow, talk about a PITA!

" two camshaft-driven hydraulic pumps supplying 2,500 psi operating pressure backed up by a conventional master cylinder circuit was a far cry from the previous mechanical servo operated system of 1920s origin"

·
Registered
302 Posts
Two hijackings in one night! Seen right here!

Ted, I have been thinking about your Bruce Lee quote. It reminds me of a Chen style, Tai Chi Chuan that I practiced. Part of the training was to teach the opposing muscle in any movement to completely relax while fully engaging the action muscle. Thus, fullfilling the Taoist theory of oppositional energy flows. This is somewhat different from the more widely known Yang style, which seems to work for an unbalanced relaxation of muscles but balanced center, IMO. Does that sound right?

Are old enough to play with Tai Chi, yet? I've seen younger people play, but mostly young people have a drive for energy expenditure while old farts are into conservation!

Just curious. You may return to your regular programming.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Chris,

The oppositional energy flow technique sounds about right. From what little I know, the Cheng style is more upright, slow and deliberate. While the Yang style, your stance is lower with more varied pacing. Slow -> fast movements. I've been to a few workshops here in Madison, taught by Tricia Yu. Not much else. Great mind/body exercise though!

I think what Lee was getting in that quote was more of a Judoesque idea. Not to rely on your strength, but that of your opponents. After all, Lee's Jeet Kune Do was a mixture of many fighting arts.

·
Registered
118 Posts
We now return you to our regularly scheduled program.

So THAT'S what they were building! I scanned thru the channels about half way thru the program, stopped for a minute until it went to commercial and left, wondering what they were doing to that poor Roller :eek: Did they get it to work properly?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It worked!

I noticed the new rubber was rubbing on the front fenders, causing smoke. The hood didn't fit too well either. Of course, it is a "monster" after all! :)

It was interesting because Jesse was doing his usual brake stand burn outs at the beginning of the show.

They got the car up on the hoist and the a rear cross member bar was bent. The driveshaft was close to rubbing against it! Due to torque? The Rolls expert said these cars weren't meant to do burn outs, but at the same time, wouldn't one think the build quality would be tough enough to handle burn outs and hard braking?

An S-class wasn't designed to do burn outs, but I've never read of suspension pieces being bent. So much for British engineering I guess.

·
Registered
118 Posts
The more I hear about Rolls, the more I wonder why anyone buys them. aside from status that is. They sound like maintenance nightmares :roll:

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think they bought the car for just under $7 grand. Cosmetics were great, but when the Rolls expert looked it over, he said it had been neglected. Cha-ching.

I started a thread a few yrs back on Mbshop about my buddy who wanted to buy a Roller. Late 60's for about $14k. At the time, there were some Rolls experts (or ex-techs) on the board and said that he should stay away. Even if the maint was upto date. He settled on a Porsche 912, that has been a money pit. Why a 912, I'll never know. He could have spent a few thou more and gotten a nice 911.

·
Registered
31 Posts
If you had the tools and technical prowess to understand and repair a 1938 Packard, then any Rolls up to the 1965 Silver Cloud was a piece of cake, particularly the pre-60's 6 cylinder models. The V8 was modeled after the first OHV Cadillac V8 and the auto trans were GM components with a solenoid-activated gear selector. The Silver Shadow? If you have enough money to afford a new one, you can easily afford the maintenance on a used one. I understand that the hydraulics are particularly evil, particularly if a PO used the wrong type of fluid.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I always thot it'd be fun to have an old one, and slam a Chevy drivetrain into it, like they do to Jags. Use it for sunny afternoon cruises. 8)

·
Registered
183 Posts
Rickg said:
The more I hear about Rolls, the more I wonder why anyone buys them. aside from status that is. They sound like maintenance nightmares :roll:
Brings added meaning to Ted's commnet ""The less effort, the faster and more powerful you will be." :?:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts