Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at a '93 400E. I like the car a lot, but I was surprised that the legroom is pretty restrictive - my current daily driver is the equivalent BMW of the day, a '93 525i, which has lots more room. Is there any reason I can't move the seat rails back on the drivers' side by about 2-3 inches? Any idea what it would cost to do that?

·
Registered
22 Posts
The W124 should have a bit more space than the Bimmer. Perhaps the seat switch is dirty? Spray some WD40 in there. Maybe something is stuck in the track?

On the newer W210, the seats had to be "reprogrammed". Not on the W124 though.

The W124 has 41.7 cu in up front and 33.5 cu in. in back.

The 525i has 42 cu in. up front and 25.5 cu in in back.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's the second 124 I've sat in to test the space, and I had the same complaint both times (I'm admittedly not a small guy). Maybe I'm just used to the E34, but I can get comfortable there, at least as far as legroom. Any thoughts on moving seat rails back?

·
Registered
22 Posts
It's really strange. No, the E34 does seem to have a little more width while the W124 has more height, IMHO.

I've got a compromise. Go out and buy an S. :wink:

The W124 has the 10-way power seat. Adjust the lower seat cushion to the lowest possible level. Then move the entire seat all the way to the back. There should be enough leg and headroom for Shaq.

PC Dave, don't you subscribe to mercedesshop.com? You can relay your question to them. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts