Benz Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just bought a stolen Mercedes from an insurance auction sort of on a gamble that most things would be fine but I might have gotten in a bit over my head. Couple questions...

Here are a few pics of her:

The title says S500 but the car has 500S??

How do I take the dash off? I found 4 screws under the steering wheel by the pedals that I've taken off and some of the carpet piece that is connected to the dash feels loose, but I fear if I tug it off, I won't get it back on.

The ignition cylinder plastic was broken during the theft I think...what part do I even google to try and buy?

The horn is stuck on the "on" position and it stops if I hold the horn button down? I pulled a fuse so my neighbors would stop looking out at me like I'm crazy.

The wheel is stuck in the locked position? This makes me think it's in "stolen mode". When I open the door it has an annoying buzzer noise too...almost as if the lights were on, but they're not.

·
Administrator
893 Posts
In this case, it would be probably cheaper in the long run to let a MB dealer sort this out.
Keys have to be matched and programmed to the DAS system, which is not a thing you can do yourself.
You probably got this car at a good price, so let MB get the car security systems in place, then tackle other run-of-the-mill problems yourself.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In this case, it would be probably cheaper in the long run to let a MB dealer sort this out.
Keys have to be matched and programmed to the DAS system, which is not a thing you can do yourself.
You probably got this car at a good price, so let MB get the car security systems in place, then tackle other run-of-the-mill problems yourself.
Sorry I should have been more clear. I have a key and it starts. It only drives forward/backwards though because the wheel is locked lol. I almost think something else is amiss because I read the manual and it says the horn will go on/off and the lights will flash on/off. It only stays on constantly. I was hoping something was jarred loose under the dash.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts