Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of buying my first MB. I like the 300cd so far, and I'm wondering if anyone has comments about this car's fantastic reputation, and also I'm wondering about pro/con of diesel vs. turbo diesel for this model. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
172 Posts
Mileage

My TD gets about 21-24 mpg on the highway and right about the same for city driving in Minneapolis.

People do exaggerate, lol, I have never heard an honest report of more than 24 mpg on a Turbo Diesel.

I have heard 40mpg reports on regular diesels, but I dunno what is the truth.

Power/Safety

No comparison at all, the turbo kicks butt compared to the regular engine.

This is also a safety factor, imo, for example when you are merging onto the highway it is safer to get up to that speed in a hurry. Changing lanes, etc.. depending on where you live, you may or may not relate to my safety observation.

Longevity

Take a look at Rivermaster's TD with 460K.

Bottom line = I would go with the turbo. The CD is a beauty. I am not sure if all years of the CD have the heavy chrome around the windows; that is a really nice look.

·
Registered
584 Posts
The turbo is more efficient, and you would like the extra power. The 300CD is a 123 chassis benz, which I had the 4-door version of and can testify to its wonderful safety. 28 might be the best mpg you can hope for from the 123 chassis.

Just a point of nomenclature: though I know willy was just abbreviating TD for "turbo diesel", the TD is a diesel wagon.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Now, any advice where to buy

So the turbo sounds great. Any advice on finding one? They seem a bit scarce, but I'm sure there around somewhere. I'm in New York, so any where within about 500 miles would be worth looking into. Again, thanks in advance.

·
Registered
584 Posts
The CD is relatively scarce to start with. I believe that from '82-'85 they were all turbos, prior to that turbo was an option.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts