Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I pulled out my HU in my 02 c230 coupe and replaced it with a computer. I have a mini-itx C134 case under the passenger dash (you barely notice it) and put some peripherals behind a 7" touchscreen where the HU was. I now have mp3, dvd, gps, phone and more in it and it sounds GREAT.

I now want a trigger switch to mute the speakers and enable the microphone for the voice recognition. I can do this via the serial port on the computer and I want to use one of the old volume buttons on the steering wheel to do this. Does anyone know where I might be able to get to this wire (preferably under dash) and what color it is? Even though there's a lot of fiber circuitry in the car, I'm sure this is an electrical contact switch and I just want to get to the other end of it.
Thanx in advance!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As long as I can just get to the wire, I can figure out how to trigger my carpc via the serial port. Pardon me for being ignorant (I know I should SEARCH) but just WHERE would I find this wire on the "canbus" (can't find anything about canbus on this forum) and how can I identify it? Thanx!

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
The CAN (or controller area network) is similar to any network of computers. It allows the various modules to interface with one another. It is not as simple as this button goes to this wire and then goes to the radio. It runs through all of the modules on the network and influences many different things throughout the vehicle. You would need to engineer a device that is able to speak the same proprietary language as the CAN in order to accomplish what you're looking to do. It's possible, but =a very difficult proposition. I have yet to hear of anyone doing anything like this.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I got a carputer in my car as well, a w202. Got a mini 10000m mobo, 80gig HD, 7" motorized digitalww touchscreen, opus 90w psu wifi, gps, and had a massive stereo but in the process in swapping the stereo and rebuilding the computer. I put it in the center armrest area of my car. How do you like yours sofar?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The CarPC is GREAT! I use it mostly for gps/xm/mp3/phone but I'm expanding into other areas now. I'm runnng RoadRunner as the software frontend after going through a bunch of them (from mp3car.com). To get the volume control to the wheel, I would think the steering wheel would have just a simple switch and some wires going down to the control module that I could cut into (unless the module is right at the switch). I have the PC mounted under the glove box. It's so small you can't even see it from the front seat. The touchscreen is mounted in the double din slot and I ran a microphone up on the pillar. Here's a photo:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts