Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm new to this
i have a choice of 2001 s430 with 76000miles for 26k
or 2000 s500 with 57000miles for 25k
or 2001 s500 with 54000miles for 29k
and last but not least a 2001 e55 with 67000miles for 26k
none of these have the adjustable rear seats or any of the options...just the standard stuff..
my question is that which one of these cars or models are more reliable and easier to maintain.. and at the current mileage what schedule maintenance must be performed..
i love to own one..but i fear that the cost for upkeep is way over my budget
if someone can point me the right way i would appreciate it...thanks in advance

Phil

·
Registered
678 Posts
My favorite is of course the E55. It will also be the most reliable, but will not be cheaper to maintain. Any part that's AMG specific you can expect to pay at least double than a non AMG part. You'll find this out if you ever do brakes on it.

I'd forget about the 2000 S-class. Unless it's a smoking deal, it's the first year of the 220 body and would most likely have more problems than the 01's. Though many 01's still have they're share of problems. Between a 430 and a 500, they're pretty much the exact same car except alittle more power (I believe 28 more HP) and a couple options here and there.

If you haven't owned a late model benz before, these all get serviced about ever 10,000 miles with Flex A and B services. At 60k miles they're supposed to get their air and fuel filters replaced. You should see if these have been done.

Really, it's up to which car you like best and are suited to.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
No matter what, any of those cars is going to be expensive to own. They were all expensive to purchase new and were pricey to maintain new. Now that they've got some miles on, this cost will be even higher, as things will start to wear out. I'd pick the car you like, get the best ectended warranty you can get and be happy.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts