Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, im looking into getting a '95-'99 C280 with around 80,000 miles. I was wondering how reliable this car is because i have almost no income, I'm a college student. so i wont really be able to fix it if something goes really wrong. I have a 2002 Sentra now and all thats left to do is sell it. So, am i better off getting the Mercedes or keeping my car (i really hate it, the suspension is HORRIBLE and its really slow).

Also, I was considering getting a 1996 BMW 328i, but i read a lot of customer reviews and they say that there are a lot of repairs required. The Mercedes didnt have as much. Is the mercedes really a more reliable car? Thanks for any help you guys can give me.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
The car will kill you in maintenence costs if you want to keep it perfect. The C is a good car, I drove mine from basically new until 60K miles, where it simply became more expensive to have around than it was worth. German cars cost big money to keep running properly. Mind you, you could buy it, neglect it, have a worn out suspension, oil leaks and all the wonderful electrical gremlins that are inevitable and probably drive it for some time. At that point, it is only enjoyable to drive because people can see the star on the hood. Don't do it if you are a starving college student.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have to second the above, these are lovely cars but not if you can’t afford to maintain them. How close are you to finishing college? If you will have a job paying a reasonable salary in a year or two then you should probably keep the old car until then if that’s possible.

Don’t get me wrong I think I used Mercedes is fine, I have several myself. But upon occasion you can get hit with a several hundred dollar repair bill that if you ignore turns into a several thousand dollar repair bill.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts