Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's time for me to buy new tires. The car came with Michelin Energy MXV4 tires. They were all season tires, but really didn't do very well in snow.

I abondoned them in favor of Michelin Pilot Sport tires figuring I'd get better wet and dry traction and since I didn't have much snow traction to begin with I figured I wasn't losing much. I was pretty unimpressed with those. They tended to easily break loose (until ESP took over) when accelerating hard into a turn from a stop. They're now worn out and I'm shopping for the next set.

I would like to know if there's any merit to getting all season tires. I can avoid driving the car in the snow, but sometimes when it starts snowing while I'm at work, I don't get a choice. Driving in rain is pretty much unavoidable. Having great traction when it's dry is obviously the ultimate goal. Any suggestions on what to get?.

PS, they're 205/55-16

·
Registered
8 Posts
I bought the Pilot Sports as well and they wore completely out within 8,000 miles! :x I have a 2005 C230 Kompressor sedan, which has staggered-width tires (rear tires are wider than front). This prevents me from being able to rotate the tires. Honestly, I got the absolute best tread wear, best all-around traction (wet and dry), and smoothest/quietest ride from the OEM tires for this car (Michelin Primacy). That is what I have put back on my car and am totally happy with them. Even without the ability to rotate the tires, I'm getting about 26,000-28,000 miles on those.

One advantage I have is that it rarely ever snows here, so I don't have to bother with winter or even all-season tires. Summer touring tires work pretty well yearround. The Primacys have very good traction in the rain.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Another tire choice

The OEM tires were swell, but i replaced them when the time came with one of the newest Bridgestone Potenzas which wore out quickly. This time I went I went with Yokohama 520. All weather, 60,000 tread life warranty, blissfully quiet and they make rediculous traction in rain. By rain, I mean torrential monsoon downpours! I love the tire. Good luck!

·
Registered
2 Posts
tires

you can't really have your cake and eat it to. the michelin MXV4 PLUS is a great tire, it's the one i choose for my wifes 1999 C280. In houston we don't see much snow, but we do see rain and lots of it. if your looking for a great summer tire go with the Goodyear eagle GSD3 it has out standing wet and dry traction. as far as snow tires go i haven't a clue. i've used the eagle on a previous car and received 40,000.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts