Benz Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alas, my C230k has almost 17,000 miles and already some of my tread is showing severe wear (uneven in spots which I don't like). I have the 17" performance package, but would like to switch to a tire that will be more reliable for long life. I'm also interested in an all-season tire so I have a sporting chance of staying on the road in winter.

I would love some recommendations. I need the tire to fit the 17" wheels and keep the basic same low profile as the OEM's, but I want MAJOR life from them and good weather traction. So far, it looks like Michelin makes the best...

·
Registered
263 Posts
Well, you have a few options.

The C7 option comes with Z rated tires. A simple solution would be to go to H rated tires. They will probably meet all your needs unless you like to "throw" your car around and wring every bit of grip possible from your tires.

All season tires also give more treadwear than summer tires, again with some loss of performance at the high end. However, I'd recommend sticking with a summer tire and go to a 16" wheel for winter applications.

You could also go to TireRack and check customer reviews on various tires regarding treadwear. Just remember, treadwear ratings are valid only within the same brand. For example, you can't compare the ratings between Michelin and Goodyear.

No doubt, others will give additional ideas. Let us know what you decide. 8)

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I really don't want to deal with the seasonal changing of wheels and tires, so I'm hoping to find some that fit the 17" rims and still provide good traction and long wear.

I was looking at the new Michelin HydroEdge tire and it would be PERFECT, except they don't make it in a 225/45 only 225/55. Damn Them! Damn them to Hell I say!! :twisted: So, I might be looking at the Pilot A/S or something.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes they are! It's okay if they are really worth it, but I'd like to be sure. I don't suppose you can use a 225/55 on our cars?? I'm not sure what that number means, unless it's the rim width.

To bad Michelin isn't making the new HydroEdge in our size - that tire is awesome! It has a 760 treadwear rating (compared to the 2-- the ContiSports I have).

Where's that tire expert... any info on the Hydro's fitting our C230k 17"? Opinion on the Pilot Sport A/S?

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
225 is the section width of the tire. That is measured at the widest point between the sidewalls. 55 is the height of the sidewall as a percentage of the section width.

A 225/45 has a sidewall height of 101.25mm, while the 225/55 has a sidewall that is 123.75mm. So, the diameter of the 225/55 is 45mm or about 1.5" larger.

A 225/55-17 tire will turn 764 times in a mile. A 225/45 will turn 829 times. Your speedometer will have 8% error. If the speedometer reads 50 mph, you will actually be going 54 mph.

I don't know if the extra 1.5" of height will cause any problems with the tire hitting suspension pieces or the fenders.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks again Lynn. I did some research after that last post and kind of figured those dimensions out. Guess I'll have to stick with /45's. Although, it would be a good way to "cheat" on your mileage, now wouldn't it!

Looks like Michelin Pilot A/S is the front runner, although they are sure EXPENSIVE.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts