Benz Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all, thanks to all you folks participating in this site. As I am about to buy a Merc diesel, the info is wonderfully helpful! I am looking at several early 80's Mercs as possible candidates to run biodiesle through here in Southern California. Good 300DT's seem to run $4-5K and disappear before I get a chance to look at them. However, there is an 84 190D 2.2 for sale nearby that I am looking at tomorrow and was wondering if anyone has an oponion on this model as a cheap starter into the wonderful world of Merc diesels. It has 185K miles and is listed at $2150. The car is advertised here:

http://www.autotrader.com/findacar/...=&advcd_on=y&doors=&fuel=DSL&color=&cardist=6

Thanks!
Stephen Baughman
Sherman Oaks, CA

·
Registered
18 Posts
"Always maintained by German mechanic" sounds good, but even if it is true if he was not a good German mechanic, it won't matter. If he has records of the maintainance and the car checks out on the PPI then go for it. The weak points of these cars are the 13 or so relays under the hood and the transmissions. My personal opinion (hope I don't piss anyone off here) is the 190 series is chintzy by MB standards and is to be avoided as an older used car. The larger older diesel models are more robust cars and they age better.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Stephen:

The 201 (190D) I owned was a 1986 2.5 naturally aspirated. Great car! There was not enough leg room in the back to comfortably seat four persons for any duration. Those chrome wheels on the one you linked to are non-stock.

-Scott

1 - 3 of 3 Posts