Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I'm new here. I did a search but it didn't turn up what I was looking for.

I might be interested in getting a C230K coupe. What exactly is the difference between the 2.3 and the 1.8 engines? Do they have equal hp and torque? Run the same boost? I tried to find specs for each engine. Any help would be appreciated. Is the 1.8 the only one available new now? From what I've read, the 1.8 is nice.

Thanks,
Jeremy

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
The 1.8 has an aluminum block while the 2.3 is cast iron, so the 1.8 is somewhat lighter and the car has a slightly better front to rear weight ratio. The 1.8 has variable valve timing on both intake and exhaust while the 2.3 has it on the intake side only. The 1.8 has dual balance shafts which makes it smoother than the 2.3 which has no balance shafts.

The 2.3 has about 6psi boost and the 1.8 is about 11psi. The 1.8 has 3 hp less than the 2.3, and also has slightly less torque and the torque curve is narrower. This means the 1.8 may need to shift more often. The 1.8 is 7% more fuel efficient, and pollutes a little less.

The 2.3 is no longer available in the C class.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes! Thanks! That's the kind of info I'm looking for.

So far, I think the 1.8 is the way to go instead of the v6 that you can get now, due to the ~100 lb lighter weight of the 1.8 car.

I am going to schedule a test drive of this car, a used BMW Z3 coupe or M Coupe, and the Mazda RX-8. Very different cars, I know, but I like all kinds of cars.

I've just started my research on this car. I hope there is a way to reliably and lightly tweek this car to make it just a little better and see significant gains.

Is it easy and reliable to get 215 hp out of the 1.8?

Jeremy

·
Registered
8 Posts
th 1.8

ther is no mods for the 1.8 but the 2.3 you can bring up to 300 hp with kleeman pully upgrades and a few other things. or a new kleeman supercharger is in the works

·
Registered
8 Posts
th 1.8

ther is no mods for the 1.8 but the 2.3 you can bring up to 300 hp with kleeman pully upgrades and a few other things. or a new kleeman supercharger is in the works

·
Registered
8 Posts
I too am looking at the new (or possibly a low mileage 2.3) C230, thanks for the engine info. However, Renntech makes an ECU upgrade and a muffler for the 1.8, there was a pulley kit for the 2.3, giving it about 25 hp (w/ ECU and muffler).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts