Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys,

im new here, just bought c180 coupe kompressor evolution which i should be able to pick up this weekend sometime.

I was just wondering if any of you here have this same car and could possibly enlighten me on anything i should look out for...or what i should be looking forward to ;)

thanks guys

Alex

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Alex. Most of us are in the US and there are no C180k's here. There are a few European and Asian members who have one or are getting one. In general, the C have some occasional electronics problem. but most have been sorted out by now. Not all of them though.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hi, thanks for the reply.

No wonder i cant find much stuff about the c180 hehe

Im guessing the c180 is the same as the ones you get in the usa except the engine is different. I mean interior wise and body wise they must be hte same right?

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
The cars are basically the same, but there are differences in standard equipment. The US cars generally have some things a standard that are options elswhere. One example is that all US sport coupes have the sport suspension. Also all MB's sold in the US are at the Elegance trim level that is used in most of the rest of the world. On the other hand, you can get many things, we can't get at all. Parktronic is not available here on C's, nor is the Sequentronic transmission. Designo is not available. The only audio headunit is a crappy Alpine cassette player that is apparently not available anywhere but North America.

MB cars sold in the US have a much smaller selection of engines. Ususally only the two most powerful petrol engines are offered, and no Diesels.

Most optional items are only offered as packages and most European options are either standard or not available. There is a good reason for keeping the optional equipment list short. Most MB salesmen here can't fill out the order form correctly. There are numerous stories of special order cars showing up with the incorrect equipement including having the wrong transmission.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
oh right i see..well i suppose we're very lucky over here in that we can choose any of the options you mentioned above :)

One thing i still cant seem to find about is the parktronic. I know my car has it..and theres a button near the steering wheel with a big P on it....but what exactly is it and what does it do?? i gather its some kind of parking assistant....??? 8O

·
Registered
40 Posts
Parktronic provides the "radar" type parking distance sensors. The system has both an audible system and a visual display to indicate how close the front or rear is to an obstacle. I have it on my coupe and it is excellent. Without it I would be much less confident about my parking.

The button with the "P" on it is probably the button that lets you turn the Parktronic system off, should you wish to do so :?

Hope that helps a bit.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for that GUY :)

i went to the merc website and saw a screen shot of the 'P' button you mention..however..its not like what i have seen in my car.
Ok maybe it something totally different hehe, but the button or what ever it is that i saw is a rectangled shaped object right under the light knob, to the left of the steering wheel..its rather big and has a big P on it.

The parktronic button i saw on the screen shot was small and ontop of the radio area....whats this thing i saw..anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

·
Registered
40 Posts
I reckon that you are seeing the handle that releases the parking break. That is located under the light switch area and I think has a P in a circle written on it. Does this sound right??

·
Registered
127 Posts
GUY said:
I reckon that you are seeing the handle that releases the parking break.
"I reckon", you must be in southern England. :lol: Reckon is a term you hear only in the southern states and not considered proper English (American/English) here. Just out of curiosity is this acceptable speech in England; if so I reckon I'll start using it. It just seemed ironic that after we butchered your language you would pick up our slang.

Tally Ho, Tut Tut and all that crap.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Yep I'm in southern England. I actually grew up in Cornwall in the South West, which is a lovely rural part of the country - oo ar! :lol:

"I reckon" is definitely slang, but perfectly acceptable in a friendly environment such as this. I wouldn't be using it if I was picking up my Knighthood from the Queen though!

I don't think you guys have "butchered" the English language - well not completely :wink: I love the different phrases and ways of talking that you get in different areas. Even in little old Britain there are massive variations in accents and vernacular. Obviously the same applies over the pond. All good fun in my book - as long as someone explains what's being said!!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hey guys...

parking release break...what the hell?? is that not what you use the hand break for hehe?

by the way...if you want to hear english slang...you should come down to gibraltar where i live..the english language here has evolved to include italian words, spanish words and morrocon words..infact in gibraltar they have their own language called llanito (janito) :p

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hi Capu

I hesitate to write this response just in case you're winding me up :oops: But here goes - the c class coupe does not have a hand brake. In the c coupe the parking brake (in most cars operated by the hand brake in between the front seats) is engaged by using a small pedal on the left hand side of the driver's footwell, i.e. left of the clutch pedal (if you have a manual) or well left of the footbrake. To release the parking brake you pull a handle located below the headlamp controls.

If I've just made a fool of myself falling for your joke - oh well!! :D If not, and your question is serious - have you even test driven the c coupe? If you haven't I'm sure you'll love it as it is a great car.

·
Registered
175 Posts
craniusmaximus said:
GUY said:
I reckon that you are seeing the handle that releases the parking break.
"I reckon", you must be in southern England. :lol: Reckon is a term you hear only in the southern states and not considered proper English (American/English) here.
While I agree with both of you, "I reckon" is not considered polite English but is acceptable in informal communications. I believe that it originated in England and we adopted it here (and subsequently butchered it, as is our custom). I believe it is derived from the phrase "according to my reckoning..." - which sounds a bit more formal don't you think. You can almost hear Sherlock Holmes passing the phrase... and probably have.

Hey, this is the most interesting discussion on this board in many-a-week!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Beavis

no worries about butchering the English language for you, that was a most elegantly phrased response. I agree this is a good topic, though I must admit I'm starting to worry that things are getting a bit "cultural" in here :wink: Someone write something about cars - quick :lol:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
hi GUY,

thanks for the response...it was a serious question hehe..you see i have bought this car ,but still have nott been able to drive it as i dont pick it up until tomorrow or wednesday the latest..i have not even been able to test drive it :)

to be honest..i cant remember either seeing or not seeing a hand brake in the car when i sat in it...i must admit i have never heard of this kind of braking system is it merc specific? something new??

I cant wait to get the car tomorrow and give it a spin :D

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hi capu

I'm glad I answered you now - happy to help!

I don't think this set up is Mercedes specific, but it is certainly a feature of most Mercedes cars. I believe that it is only the A class and the SLK that have "normal" handbrakes.

Good luck with the new car tomorrow - you'll love it. What specification have you ordered? e.g. colour, auto/manual gearbox, options etc.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
well hopefully i WILL get it tomorrow...for the last week they keep telling me, tomorrow it will be here..tomorrow..so everyday i wake up like its christmas...only to find out i dont have the car yet hehe

i got the c180 kompressor coupe (evolution) in silver brilliant. Its got the 17" 7 spoke allowys, leather multi function sterring wheel, leather gear stick (manual of course), sports suspension, cd player etc
i was going to get leather interior..but i would have had to wait 3 more months...so i said dont bother hehe

i cant wait to drive..i keep day dreaming about it!!!! will post pics when i get it 8)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
well i really cant remember wheather or not my car has a handbreak or not hehe..but i gather that it wont as i definitely saw that P button under the steering wheel.

do any of you have a pic of this foot operated parking break...is it very close to the clutch?...i mean am i likely to cause an accident by stepping on it instead of the clutch hehe :oops:

·
Registered
127 Posts
capu said:
well i really cant remember wheather or not my car has a handbreak or not hehe..but i gather that it wont as i definitely saw that P button under the steering wheel.

do any of you have a pic of this foot operated parking break...is it very close to the clutch?...i mean am i likely to cause an accident by stepping on it instead of the clutch hehe :oops:
No, though I would have much preferred a hand brake, the parking break is in no way a hazard.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts