Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at a 79 240D, is there anything that I really need to check out with this car? Things to watch out for? Are the rumors true that these things run forever? How do they handle the winters? Good for daily driving?

I have a 300hp Audi A4 that I do not want to keep putting miles on, and love the way this car looks. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
584 Posts
These are excellent cars and will vary greatly in dependability as attributed toward proper maintenace. The bodystyle you are looking at is the W123. The 240 in the name denotes a 2.4 liter engine, the "D"meaning diesel of course. The W123 body was used from 1977 to 1985 with varying engines. The 300D Turbo was the last, and in my opinion the best of the 123's. Turbos were standard for the 300d from '82 to '85. There was also a weaker non-turbo 300d.

The 240D is a very simple and reliable car that can last a very, very long time. If you are wanting more performace with the same styling and perhaps a little more creature comforts, find a 300D turbo.

Diesels do have a reputation for being troublesome in the winter because they need heat to start, but this can be remedied by trick such as "double glowing" the plugs before starting, or using a block heater that plugs into your house outlet. I never had the luxury of a garage in my college days in Pennsyvania, and double-glowing the plugs was usually adequate for starting a cold engine during the winter.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I was mistaken, it was a 1976 that I looked at. How hard are parts to find for them? I use a few places like Europarts direct for my Audi, are there places like that for old Benz's?

·
Registered
584 Posts
http://fly.hiwaay.net/~gbf/mbmodels.html

Well, that does make a bit of a difference. Not so much for the mechanicals, as they are still very reliable (and very similar), but for the body. These things rust. Look closely at the floor pans, the wheel wells, and the undersides of the doors. These are the areas that you will most likely find some serious cancer.

I have had a couple of these myself. The diesel (and smaller gas engines)is the 115 chassis, the gas is the 114 chassis. These are very common cars in wrecking many yards since they were very prolific in their day. I did enjoy those cars as well as they are very simple to work on, incredibly roomy, and have a good amount of character. I remember the a/c blowing incredibly cold on all of them. I also remember one not doing so well in a wreck, but it was weakened by rust too.

Good luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a feeling there could be some bad hidden rust spots. I will post agian after I drive it, and look at it durring the day.

Thanks.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Lift the floormats and their associated underpadding while you are at it. That might give you a good look at the floorpans without getting under the car.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts