Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I frequent a few other forums during my day, and it strikes me as sort of weird that our "off-topic" area isn't used much, as it seems to be one of the more popular areas elsewhere.

So here's my "off-topic" stuff.

I just moved into a new loft downtown that was pre-wired for 7.1 channel digital surround. Up until this point in time I had been running a pretty nice 5.1 setup (Onkyo Integra Power, Rotel SACD/DVD, Polk SRT speakers and a Bob Carver True Sub), but wanted to more fully utilize the new space. So as of last night I wired in a new Denon 3805 7.1 channel that absolutely rocks with a nice set of new Jamo speakers and a Jamo sub (the old stuff's going in the bedrooom now). So I'm all psyched about the new sounds (I was an in-home theater consultant before I started on with MB).

So, to complete the benzforum off-topic experiment, any opinions? What are you guys running out there?

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
My opinion is that you have a great system. I don't have a home theater set up. My dying Sony TV, VCR, and DVD player feed my 1985 vintage Harman-Kardon integrated amp, which sends the sounds to B&W DM3000 speakers. I don't watch movies very often and the ones I do watch are pre-surround sound, so what I have is good enough for me.

I have thought about getting a home theater system, but I wouldn't use it much. I spent the money on other things. I will probably have to buy a TV in the next year.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My most sincere compliments on the B&W's. Very fine equiptment indeed. The old HK's were powerhouses as well. Well built, great sound and none of the reliability problems that plague the current technologically infused models (kind of like this car company I know).

I still will not purchase an amp without a high quality phono preamp, as all of my best stuff is on vinyl (mostly vintage, some 180 gram Radiohead/).

·
Registered
183 Posts
I got the same Denon AV receiver about 3 weeks ago. I like it. My next add on is a thing called a transport, to let my laptop send a digital signal to the digital in on the Denon. Plus it can be used to receive a digital signal from the Denon. I bought it a few days ago but it hasn't arrived yet. The receiving end is going to be so I can record LPs. And after that is a bigger amp to drive the power sucking front speakers.....

·
Banned
357 Posts
Onkyo 989 Klipsch in the front, POLK sub Polk Rears.

I'm shopping for a 7.1 but won't bother until I build my new house, wiring mids in my current home would be next to impossible.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I'm loving my 3805 more and more (bought because of the great reviews on avsforum.com). A few gripes here and there, but for the price paid it was a solid investment. My Jamos are pretty efficient, so I get by with the power ratings. What kind of mains are you running?

·
Banned
357 Posts
Klipsch Forte I used to use Polk Rti1000's but the Klipsh sounded much better in my house, now I'm dealer with a Polk Center that doesn't like to get along with the Klipsch.

All things are on hold until I build the new house so I have some time to plan it and if you don't mind.

·
Registered
183 Posts
PHAEDRUS242 said:
Yeah, I'm loving my 3805 more and more (bought because of the great reviews on avsforum.com). A few gripes here and there, but for the price paid it was a solid investment. My Jamos are pretty efficient, so I get by with the power ratings. What kind of mains are you running?
If that was aimed at me, they are maggies. The Denon just starts to get them sounding good and it is at the 0db level. The dynamic range dissapears at that point, even though there is still a ~15 db gain left on the dial. I half way expected that, and part of the reason I bought the denon is that it has pre outputs for all channels.

For listening to surround sound it is fabulous as is

·
Registered
183 Posts
Howitzer said:
Klipsch Forte I used to use Polk Rti1000's but the Klipsh sounded much better in my house, now I'm dealer with a Polk Center that doesn't like to get along with the Klipsch.

All things are on hold until I build the new house so I have some time to plan it and if you don't mind.
Are you going to integrate teh speakers into the walls/ceiling? Building now has gotta sting due to the cost of lumber! To mention nothing about the screws :wink:

·
Banned
357 Posts
PHAEDRUS242 said:
So party at your place when it's finished? Medstock?
Yes it will be a serious bash, we usually have a weekender party every year but since the wife has a baby in the oven were taking it easy.

I don't plan on integrating speakers, it never seems to work out and I change my mind very often so if I don't like the speaker it's in the storage room with my Geostatic Bertagnis.

Regarding lumber we are going to do a steel-lumber combo. Steel for interior walls and trusses and laminate I beams for floor joist, timber tech polymer composite for decking. Now if you will excuse me I have to check out the hotties on survivor.

·
Registered
183 Posts
That is so cool! Thanks for the post. Does this type of construction material suffer from rattles, expansion and contraction, condensation? Do they place the 2xes any closer or further apart? Do they just screw the sheet rock and sub floor into the 2xes?

Is the cost comparable to stick construction?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Opinions on projectors?

Cool thread! I'm an ameteur audiophile myself. I've got (among other stuff) a Carver m-400 ["The Cube"] driving through a Nakamichi 1700 receiver into Polks in my sunroom.

In the "media room", I've got a Denon AVR 1400 driving a set of vintage ADS L-810's with a Carver True Subwoofer MK-2 (1700 watts!). The center channel is a higher end Polk, but I forget the model name.

The television is a Mitsubishi rear projection.

I'm thinking of selling the large TV and installing an overhead projector instead to save floor space.

Any ideas? Suggestions? I've been warned that wiring for the projector may be a mess to get all those sources wired up to the unitt and that they run really hot.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Re: Opinions on projectors?

sflori said:
Cool thread! I'm an ameteur audiophile myself. I've got (among other stuff) a Carver m-400 ["The Cube"] driving through a Nakamichi 1700 receiver into Polks in my sunroom.

In the "media room", I've got a Denon AVR 1400 driving a set of vintage ADS L-810's with a Carver True Subwoofer MK-2 (1700 watts!). The center channel is a higher end Polk, but I forget the model name.

The television is a Mitsubishi rear projection.

I'm thinking of selling the large TV and installing an overhead projector instead to save floor space.

Any ideas? Suggestions? I've been warned that wiring for the projector may be a mess to get all those sources wired up to the unitt and that they run really hot.

Thanks!
Nice setup. If you are serious about stepping up to a front projection system, check out Runco. Best in the business but you will pay. Vidikron is nice as well. I'd hit up the boys over avsforum.com for the most up to date info and what they're using. I would hire a professional to install it, as you are guaranteed a clean appearence, no wiring hassles ad when it doesn't work right, you have some one to call to come fix it that is already familiar with your setup.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Sflori

How do you like the Carver amp? I was thinking of gettng that model used or the TFM series. Know if there is any significant difference other than size?

I recently saw a nice overhead projection TV at a local audio/video store. It was showing a remarkable HDTV display. It was most impressive. I think the projector was listed at $9K, the screen at about $3K and about $1.2K for cables. I don’t remember the name but will look it up and post back.

Also, anyone know of progress made on HDTV recording? It seems very new and to my surprise, none of the video rental companies, or I guess hardware companies have anything to store/play HDTV on something akin to a DVD

·
Registered
72 Posts
Oops, I have email notification of when people reply to posts I've made, but it doesn't seem to work.

I'll likely hold off on the projector until maybe Chirstmas or so. Working in the media, I have the benefit of purchasing things like that and being able to use them as tax write-offs! So later this year I'll see where I am and ask my accountant if I need to make a few "business expenses". :lol:

alias:

You'll hate me when you learn where I got the Carver amp. I saw it at a yardsale. I picked the amp up for $40 and the ADS speakers for $75. The amp sells regularly on Ebay for a few hundred dolllars and my dad bought the same set of speakers in the 70's, paying about $1,000!

Gotta love yardsales!!

I've been very impressed with the amp. The only problem I've had is a little bit of a hum when using it. I'm not sure if it's grounded properly. It does have awesome power, especially on the low end. There is a very noticable differende between merely having loud volume and quality sound. Carver is a genius!

BTW, my Sunfire subwoofer is really a Carver. He sold his name to Circuit City for a while years ago and formed Sunfire Corp. to sell his high end equipment. That sub is truley incredible. About 9" wide, it can shake a house with clean sound! 1,700 watts helps out!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts