Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought 87 300E for my daughter to learn to drive. (1 owner 145K miles)
Have lots of car repair exp. but this is the 1st MB I've owned.
Headlights on car suck... would welcome recomendation for upgrade.
Car needs valve seals (at best) Valve job w/guides more likely. (compression and power good... fouls plugs) I will probably change seals from top and inspect guides then... If they need replacement I will do them later.
1-2 shift not so good (slow w/some slippage) although shift quality varies depending on load and throttle position. Is this typical?
Car probably needs shocks. I kind of like the slow, somewhat lazy response and moderate body roll (compared to my 5 series) Recommendations for replacement (Boge, Bilstein?) w/o adding too much stiffness.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I suggest you buy an different car, Just kidding
I had the same problem with my transmission, is it better when the fluid is cold that when it is hot, if so i could be a valve body, my mercedes dealer recomeded tranmission replacement. I also bought a mercedes because of reliablilty and saftey, i have had a bunch of things go wrong in my 1997 C280 best of luck fixing your problems.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Hi Mark,
Welcome to Benzforum. These are great cars, I hope your daughter enjoys her new ride. The valve seals tend to be a common problem on these cars, and normallly need to be replaced every 100-125K miles. This will slow oil burning and should resolve the problem with the plugs fouling out. One suggestion I would make regarding the shift issue is, change the Transmission fluid and filter, and also be sure to change the fluid in the torque converter. I would warm the car up before changing the fluid. Keep us posted, there are a few other things you can try(i.e. modulator adjustment) before thinking about rebuilding the tranny.

Ken

·
Registered
11 Posts
300E headlight modifications

See a copy of the Bentley MB Owners Bible 1986-1995, page 277. Bentley stock number for ordering GMOB ISBN 0-8376-0230-0
This might cover the situation for you, but the cost might be a bit steep. The manual estimates between $700 and $900 green ones. Hope this helps. us1451513

·
Registered
584 Posts
As us1451513 said, the "E-class owner's bible" (available at your loal barnes&noble) is a must. You might also want to get a cd reference manual off of ebay for your car. Combined, these will answer almost all of your questions.

The headlights are a common complaint among w124 chassis owners. The most recommended fix is a set of euro headlights. I have also heard that changing the wiring over to a relay setup for the us-spec lights will give significant improvement. The headlight mods are outlined in the owner's bible.

There are actually a number of suspensions that you can get, from sportline suspensions or to full custom (Bekkers.com has good examples, but I believe they are a bit pricey). If you want stock, I believe that boge is the proper choice.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts