Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, as you may know I want more power out of the 1985 300D that was given to me. This is purely to thow ideas and to egt feedback. After hearing about the new BMW(please dont hurt me for saying that name) diesel, which has twin turbos, I came up with an idea. I know that one those cars, one turbo is after the other. So here's my idea, put a cintrifugal supercharger in front of the turbo! Now, dont tell me that you can't supercharge and turbo the same engine, because the old diesels that were put in semi's had both a turbo and a gear driven one. So, do you think that this will work?, or will it blow the engine up? I am a younger male driver, so buying a car with a V8 is out of the question (and I dont want to buy another car or sell this one) for insurence purposes.

Thanks, once again this is just for kicks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
well...

I think that theorically it should work. But how do you plan to make that supercharger fit? Personally I think its too much trouble. If you want more performance i suggest you add an intercooler, and then adjust the ALSA valve (careful with this).

For space reasons it is easier to install an intercooler to the OM603 engine than to the 617.

·
Registered
26 Posts
No offense but you will blow your engine, the stock turbo is already able to overbost your engine. If you want more power first make sure your engine is running 100% How old are the filter's, when were the valve's last adjusted etc. You might be able to custom fab up an intercooler, but since no one has ever done this before you would be breaking new ground. You also need to install an egt guage on a diesel and get some stock numbers before changing anything. If the egt's get to high you will melt your pistons.

·
Registered
191 Posts
needofspeed:

I can't recall if this was addressed in our previous thread, but your stock turbo is already capable of delivering far more boost than the engine can handle. The boost pressure is regulated by the waste gate. There is a great deal of information on the web where folks are trying to dial in on the boost pressure/exhaust temperature limit. This is particularly true in the newer diesel 4x4 trucks.

One of many examples:
http://www.thedieselpage.com/reviews/attitude.htm

-Scott

·
Registered
26 Posts
I am not sure on the 617 but whatever MB had it set for from the factory. Frankly their is no practical cheap way to get any more power out of these cars. They are running at 100% from the factory, if you crank up the boost you will shorten engine life. Not to mention it is a 20 year old diesel so it probably would not like that one bit. If you want a fast diesel look for a 1986-87 300D or a 1998-1999 E300D. Enjoy the ride W123's are not about speed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts