Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy,
I am interested in looking into a Mercedes diesel. I drove a friend's 1997 E300 and loved it.

Is there a site you can direct me to giving me a run down of the Mercedes diesel models? The two diesel models I have seen are the 240 and 300. I would be looking for an older one with an automatic transmission. I have heard about these vehicles lasting hundreds of thousands of miles. Any other tips would be helpful. Are some years better than others?

Thanks,
John :wink:

·
Registered
191 Posts
Hello John and welcome to the BenzForum.

There is a great deal of information readily available on MB Diesels. If you are in the "looking" stages, I would recommend posting any specific questions you may have. I have the resources to answer many of the "What do I need to look for in this model?" type questions.

You will find the MB community of diesel owners to be very enthuiastic and very helpful. Your budget will probably dictate the models you want to look at.

I believe the 1997 you referenced is a model W210. Your are talking in the $20K's there. The previous "E" class was the W124, and before that the W123.

In the "S" Class cars, the W126 300SDL (1985, 1987) is highly regarded. I drive a 300SD (W126-shorter, 1981-1985) and there was a W126 350SD (1991).

What is now the C-Class, was preceded by the 190. There were a few diesels in there too.

Where do you want to begin?

I drive the W126 and my wife has a W210 wagon. You can take a look at them on my personal site:

http://web.infoave.net/~ontheriver/automobiles

Looking forward to your questions!

-Scott

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
RivermasterNC, thanks for the info. Nice pictures too. I never knew the hood sits straight up when open, wow.

I would be looking for either an E or C class. The S would be too big for me. What Diesel engines (size engines) were available within the E or C? Are there drawbacks to a turbo diesel? I would like to know the variations between the diesel models in the E and C. Also what to look for between them.
(let me know if these questions are still too general, it is difficult for me to ask more specific questions since I am new to this)

Also, I intend to do all the work myself on the vehicle (as I do now). Are parts easily available? (online?)

Thanks,
John

·
Registered
453 Posts
Welcome to BenzForum and to Diesels

Welcome Hubjeep! :D I think you will find BenzFourm a great place to talk about all types of Mercedes vehicles and meet other MBZ enthusiasts. RivermasterNC is a great resource on the diesel breed.

As you can see in my signature, I have two older diesels, a W124 series 1987 300D and a W116 1980 300SD. I will be happy to put my 2-cents in if I can be of any help. Availability of parts for Mercedes diesels is not a problem.

Again welcome to the BenzForum community.

·
Registered
191 Posts
John:

I would be looking for either an E or C class.
Let's start with an introduction to the models. I'll post a couple pictures of my previous cars so you will have a visual reference. I'm sure you have see all of these on the road:

W123
Mine was a 240D. Naturally aspirated, slow. E-class equivalent for the period. Available in 4 door sedan, 2-door coupe, and wagon. The W123 diesels were produced over a 10+ period and are readily available. I would be looking for a 300D Turbo Model in the years similar to the manufacture of the 300SD (early-mid '80's). Engine 617.

W201
Mine was a 190D 2.5. Naturally aspirated, moved along well. This would be your C-Class equivalent. Available in 4-door sedan. Were also offered in a 2.2l Diesel and later in a 2.5l Turbodiesel. Today I would still be pleased with the 2.5 or look to upgrade to the 2.5 Turbo.

W124
Mine was a 300D 2.5 Turbodiesel, same color as this example. Also offered as a 2.2 naturally aspirated, 2.9 Turbo (1996) and 3.0 Turbo. E-Class equivalent for the period. Available in 4-door sedan and wagon. A great car! I have not scanned any of the pictures of mine but here's a link to a gasser that is for sale. The diesel will be characterized by a louvered vent on the front right fender, just behind the turn signal lamp. This is the intake. The gassers do not have this.

http://www.msdra.com/300e.htm

W210
Never had one of these in Diesel. Were offered as a E300D 1995-?(around 2000 I believe). E-Class, Sedan and wagon. There may be some smaller engine models also.

http://www.dhc.net/~pmhack/mercedes/e300d991.htm

W202
C-class beginning in 1993. I am not real familiar with the US offerings, but was made with a 2.0l, 2.2l Turbo, and a 2.5 Turbo.

Also, I intend to do all the work myself on the vehicle (as I do now). Are parts easily available?
Parts and information are readily available. MB offers the same information provided to the Master Technicians to the owner. The way they do it is continuously evolving, so the format will be model dependent. Printed manuals were the standard. Then came the manuals on CD. Now information will be disseminated via a subscription based web site http://www.startekinfo.com

And the diesels are simple, relative to the gassers. As with all car lines, the newer, the more complex.

There is so much more! Ask a question!

-Scott

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ajcrowe - thanks for the welcome. RivermasterNC - thanks for the pics, that cleared a lot up, I printed it out :D

As I read, it looks like the W123 may be a little slow.

Within the W201 you said you would be pleased with the 2.5 or the 2.5 Turbo, what about the 2.2?

The W124 and the W210 are similar or are the E-class. Would you consider the 2.2 underpowered in either of these?

Is the W124 and the W210 always a 300D? With the only variable being the engine?

Are there any negatives with going with a turbo? Maintnance? fuel economy?

Also,
What years were the W123, W201, W124 produced?

Thanks,
John 8)

·
Registered
191 Posts
Here I am. Sorry to be a little slow. Work keeps interupting me. Grrr!

As I read, it looks like the W123 may be a little slow.
The 240D is slow, particularly with an automatic. In these cars. MB called the windshield a "front windscreen" and the rear window a "rear windscreen." There are many jokes in the 240D circles ragarding the wind or bugs hitting you in the back of the head if the "rear windscreen" were not there. The earlier W123 also had a 300D, naturally aspirated. Much better than the 240D, but the later models were the 300D Turbo. That's the one I would target in this body. The 617.952 engine very similar to the 617.951 engine in my 300SD (a significantly larger S-Class car).

what about the 2.2
I know so little about the 2.2's, any comment would be an educated guess. Such as, I would guess the European market would be the primary market for these models.

Are there any negatives with going with a turbo? Maintnance? fuel economy?
On the contrary, turbos increase fuel efficiency. They also increase performance. There will be a maintenence issue, but were still talking in the 100's of thousands of miles. My automotive power plant instructor in engineering school, using my SD as an example put it something like this. If you have a naturally aspirated diesel designed to run 1.0 million miles, you may only get 500,000 out of the Turbo. The failure here is the turbo, not the engine.

As a general rule, the newer the car, the better the performance, better the economy, the lower the engine noise, and the more $ to purchase. On the contrary, the older, the more durable. Although I do not completely agree, many have referred to the 617's as "indistructable".

You want to go for a mileage record, get a 240D. You want to survive in today's traffic with faster cars and higher speed limits, get a Turbo.

Is the W124 and the W210 always a 300D? With the only variable being the engine?
I believe the W210 is a E300 with "Turbodiesel" emblem on the right side of the trunk. I believe the W210 gassers were something like E260, E300, E320, E450 .. ?

What years were the W123, W201, W124 produced?
W123
1976-1985

W124
1984-1995

W201
1982-1993

W210
1995-2002?

·
Registered
584 Posts
I have an '87 300D (w124 3.0L turbo) and a '93(w124 2.5L turbo) and have to say that the '87 is the way to go. It is a quick car, and gets 30mpg. It is also roomy enough for my 6'5" frame, which you cannot say about the 201's. I also have to admit a love for my 123 chassis of years past, but that was normally aspirated and turbo is the only way to go in those cars.

As for turbo reliability, I recently rebuilt my turbo at 200K miles in the '87. It was the garrett model and the wear on it was quite good. I have my doubts as to whether I even really needed to do it, but my mechanic was blaming it for an oil leak and trying to sell me a new turbo. As it turns out, a the oil was (is) coming from the breather hose from the valve cover (I beleive this is something integral to the valve cover).

Anyway, the turbo diesels are good values and there is a body style to match your preference. Good luck and welcome to the board.

(Okay, so who am I to welcome anybody -I think this is MY first post!) :lol:

·
Registered
8 Posts
StarTek Value/Experiences

Hello All,

I'm lucky enough to have just purchased my first MB and a TD version as well.

I have a lot of DIY/BBS experience with all of my automobiles and once the MB is out of Starmark Warranty, will hopefully continue the "tradition".

My question concerns the Maintenance Documentation available for the 1996 and newer models. Bentley Publishers covers up to 1995 and the MB StarTek website seems to be the proverbial "only game in town".

Has anyone used it and if so, how much material have you managed to download on your daily, monthly or (gulp) yearly subscription?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
584 Posts
I have not had any direct experience with the newer (96+) benezes, but I have been pleasantly surprised by the pricing of the factory manuals. The information can not be beat. Try your dealership, and you might be surprised too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts