Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I'd like to introduce myself! I just picked up a 1983 300D turbo in excellent shape. I am an engineer by trade and own a small performance car company. I've been facinated by the diesel MB cars since I had a 190D about 5 years ago. It was woefully slow but was nicknamed "The Tank".

I have a 2005 Lotus Elise which weighs literally half of what the 300D weighs, does 0-60 in 4.5 seconds, standing quarter mile in 13 seconds flat, and will pull enough lateral acceleration to impress a fighter pilot (tried and tested ;) ) That being said... the MB is quite a different animal. I plan on making sure it's up to snuff maintenence wise (seems to run well) and then begin my custom WVO dual-tank conversion.

The car has relatively high miles (250k) but has a full maintenence history. Is there any glaring problems I need to watch out for? I read through these forums a bit and didn't see any problems that were common to the car. One thing that is bad with the car is that it has a "failing A/C compressor" or so the previous owner says. I live in Arizona so A/C is a must. I got the car for a good price so I don't mind if I have to put some money into the A/C system. Any tips on how to repair that in a cost effective manner?

I found a site with supposedly a lot of information about the W126 with the 617 engine at: http://skinnerbox.steaky.org/Service/W126/Index/617index.html

But none of the PDF links seem to work... :?

Are there any other mirrors of this site or anything out there with information like this?

Thanks

·
Registered
584 Posts
The skinnerbox site has great information, but fails quite often. I don't think that there is a mirror site, so forums like this are a good reference.

As far as the A/C goes, I strongly recommend staying with the stock setup. A new compressor and R12 recharge should cost about $1k, but well worth it. Many people with the r134 attempts have complained that it is not as good. Being in the desert myself, I understand your situation, as summer temps here can reach 110F (but the nights are beautiful!).

The 126 is even more of a tank than your 201 was, and probably quicker. You are likely already aware of how robust the engine is, but at high mileage, I would be concerned about the water pump (mine went out at 180k on my 617) and maybe timing chain stretch.

Enjoy your car, and welcome to the forum!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts