Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all,

I recently purchased a 2001 C240 sedan and I want to change the small 16" rims that are on there now. I went to the dealer and asked the service writer if this was ok to do. He told me that the computers in the car and on the wheels including those for the ABS and stability control would be affected if I changed the wheels size from the stock ones. I walked over to the shop and asked the actual "techs" that were repairing the vehicles and he told me that his brother had the same vehicle and he put 17" AMG wheels on it and it works fine.

I've seen people put up to 19" wheels on their C class... I would be happy with 17" maybe even 18" but I wouldn't want to lower the car because I fear that would void my waranty and change the smooth ride completely.

What to do???

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
You need to learn about the "plus" concept. You can increase the diameter of the wheel, but use tires that have a shorter sidewall to keep the overall diameter the same.

There is more info about this at http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/tech/plusone.htm

·
Registered
36 Posts
as long as the overall diameter of the tire stays the same it doesn't matter what size te wheels are because the computers monitor the revolutions per mile and they do not know howmuch of the diamter is wheel and how much is tire

·
Registered
191 Posts
You will need to look at wheel offset though. Luke can probably help you with this too.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
THANKS GUYS....

now i just have to show my pops this so he doesn't jump down my throat when I come home with new shoes!!!

happy.. happy.. happy..

LUKE...

Thanks for the advice... now lets say i want to go with 18" wheels what would be the necessary bolt pattern, diameter, tires size... all the stuff I need to know... please... I also know that H&R sells springs to drop the car bout 1.5"... would that be a good idea? would it cause any future damages to the original suspension or axels or anything? or is there any other manufacturer that you would recomend to obtain springs from?

·
Registered
20 Posts
As far as I understand, if you modifiy the suspension, then any warranty that relate to the aftermarket parts will not be covered by Mercedes.

Mercedes bolt pattern is 5x112

Lowering 1.5 " should be fine.

Tire size can be 225/40/18 for 18" rims.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts