Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I recently installed the factory CD changer on my 1999 C280 (Fibre optic into a Becker head unit). The head unit only recognizes the CD player when the car is first started, and then only for a few minutes. After about 5 minutes of operation, it will stop playing, and appear locked up. If I flip back to the radio, and then over to CD, the "No CD Changer" message appears. Any ideas what may be causing this or EZ fixes? I'd like to avoid taking it to the dealership for a $94/hr. diagnostic.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
The car's D2B ring needs to be configured to accept the changer. You need an SDS to do this. Your dealer is likely to be the only place to locate such a machine (they are way too expensive for all but the most well financed indies). Labor times will vary by dealership and your relationship with the service advisor.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
D2B ring- The fiber optic ring that interconnect all of your entertainment/communications hardware on the vehicle and allows them to exchange data.

SDS- the diagnostic computers your dealership uses to tell what is wrong with your vehicle and to access and modify the different functions of your vehicles control modules.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a similar problem with my 1999 e430. I installed the fiber optic changer myself. I worked for a day, until i hit a bump while driving and it stopped playing, now when I press the changer button it says No CD Changer. I checked all the connections and they are solid. Does this sound like something the dealer should fix as well?

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
You have to go to the dealer to have the system set up to recognize the changer. It will often work for a day or two then stop. It doesn't take very long to set the D2B ring up to recognize it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts