Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - I am new to this forum but not to diesel. Currently driving a 2001 Jetta GLS TDI with only 114K miles. I have become tired of the Jetta and now looking to sell it and get a used 96-99 E-class Turbodiesel.

My question is to you all is that what should I look for in a E-class? Which year seems the better year.

I am currently looking at a '99 and '97. '99 E300 has 116K miles, and the '97 E300 has 48K miles.

What were the trim levels on these cars. I like the '97 but it has no sunroof.

What kind of mechnical problems I may run into either of these if any maintenance was neglected. Both of the above are from a dealer, and they cannot come up with the maintenance docs.

·
Registered
44 Posts
96/97 have non turbo, 4 speed auto. 98/99 have turbo and 5 speed. Trim levels varied form stock with MB Tex (vinyl) seating, to skys the limit. The diesel was actually less expensive than the gasser in base form. We added leather, ESP, Xenons, and sunroof/Bose package and was still less than a well equipped gasser. The sunroof is basically useless in my opinion as you end up smelling a lot of diesel. It came as a package with the bose radio upgrade and is nice for extra light, but we don't use it very often.

The 98/99 may have had the brake assist, and the 99 had side/head curtain air bags.

Z

·
0 Posts
E-class 98-99. These are premium quality and match original equipment specs exactly.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Diesel-turbo=sucks

98-99 is the better of the w210's in diesel

Best ones ever built were the 92-93 300D 2.5's
I agree that the W124 is generally superior for trouble-free operation to the W210. If you are bent on the early W210, check very carefully for rusting...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts