Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 87 300e that has illumination ONLY on the Dashboard instrument cluster. Nothing else lights up .....console lights, fan switches and even gear selector remain unlit. Where would that magic wire be hiding that is responsible for this? :twisted:
What should I look for?
Thanks, and happy motoring!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 260 E from 1998 on VDO make instrument unit there is a fuse.
may be you can try.
All the best

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'm not sure this info could apply to your specific model/years cars, but since all instrument panel and center console lamps are on the same circuit (even the A/C grille lamps) there is a junction connector that splits the wiring between the instrument panel ilumunation and the rest of the lamps. It is identified as X6/1, it has 3 grey/blue wires connected to it. According to my W124 service manual it should be located "Center of dashbord, left from ashtray".

I'm attaching the included picture. Hope this info helps you locate the problem.

Alex

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had the same problem on my 89 300e cluster lights only but all my console,ac vents,and shift went out , ended up that all the bulbs blew, noticed the vents went out firs then lost the console and the shifter then the ashtray within a day, checked the wires and fuses, just ended up being all the bulbs replaced them no problem for the past month

·
Registered
43 Posts
luvthemerc better check the voltage of your system, maybe it's somewhat high and that will shorten the life of not only lightbulbs, but also many other electricall parts. If the voltage with the engine running at about 1500rpm is higher than 14V maybe you need to replace the voltage regulator.

Alex

1 - 5 of 5 Posts