Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are experiencing a humming/buzzing noise from what sounds like the rear end. We have been told to check out the differential as it may be bad. Is there any other parts that should be checked before going that extreme in replacing the rear end. i.e, cv joint, wheel bearing, etc.
In addition, the gear shifter has started to rattle as well.
Also, do any diy-ers have any help ideas on repairs as such?? Mileage is 192K. Please help.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
First things first, pull the diff and inspect its internals. Mercedes diffs leak notoriously, but their service life is often beyond that of the vehicle. If it's been run without proper fluid level due to leaks that were ignored. At that mileage, I would fix what's broken. The diff is to pull out on the C. Very basic and strightforward. One trick, when dissassembling, use your Mercedes-Benz instument cluster hooks to pull out the little C clips. I also recommend pushing them through a paper towel. This way, when the little clip comes flying out, it will hit the paper towel and fall onto your workspace, rather than onto the floor somewhere across the room. I would inspect everyting else thoroughly for safety. That's pretty considerable mileage, and things do wear out, no matter how well built. As for your shaking shifter, you probably should start with a set of shifter bushings. Beyond that you may be looking at motor/trans mounts, etc. After the bushings are replaced, a good inspection should tell the rest of the story (provided the vibration has not eradicated). Best of luck with everything.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts