Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 00 C230K with about 167K, its been a great car and has served me very well....but it appears, or better said, it sounds as if the compressor is going. Its making a lot of noise at low RMPs. What's the word on this part?, how does a compressor typically fail and should I be concern about getting stuck on the road when it does fail?? What's a fair price to have it replaced?

Also, my AC fan in my dash has started to squeak...almost like it has a loose belt or something....is this possible that this fan is belt driven? and if so and recommendations on a quick and easy fix.

Thanks and have a great day,

David

·
Registered
678 Posts
I have seen the following cause noises in your car that may be heard as a supercharger noise, 1. Alternator failing, makes a whine like a roots type blower, just like the one in your car, 2. Supercharger clutch is toast, usually makes a horrible rattle or scraping noise, 3. Belt tensioner failing, 4. Powersteering pump failing or low on fluid, this makes more of a low pitch whine, like normal P/S noise, except louder, did you check the fluid level?, 5. Idler pulley failing, or 6. Noisey camshaft adjuster, usually makes a grinding noise when engine hits somewhere around 1500-2000 rpm. You could perhaps have a supercharger that's either just noisey or in the process of failing, but I haven't seen it happen. Usually the supercharger is just normally noisey when the clutch is engaged. Oh yeah, and I've seen waterpumps go bad, and those usually make horrible scraping noises!

Your blower motor and fan is not belt driven. The electric motor is mounted right on the fan. Perhaps the bearings are shot in it, or something that I've seen commomly, rats make a nice home in it and stuff it full of your hood or firewall insulation. The blower motor can be pulled out fairly easily and inspected by removing the passenger side underdash panel and removing the blower motor cover.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Zewerr,

Thanks for your thoughts on the topics, I've taken the time to fix the fan and that turned out to be nice and easy, I cleaned the filter while at it...no mice but a lot of pine neddles and fine sand...

On to the noise...based upon your input I feel it could be either the compressor clutch or the cam adjuster. The car is OK in idle but the noise kicks in at 1900-2000 rpms while in N...lower rpms in D&R....it kinda sounds like a clutch engaging to me...louder in the winter cold than the summer heat....does this tell you anything?

Thanks again,

David

·
Registered
678 Posts
The cam adjuster will make a distinct growling noise at approx 1500 rpms, and it will always only last for about 1 second. It'll growl once when it advances the cam timing as rpm's climb, then growl when it retards the cam timing as the rpm's drop. This is usually normal operation, but there is an updated cam adjuster available that has rubber paddings on the sprocket to quiet it down. Noises I've seen come from the supercharger clutch is usually a scraping noise when the clutch is disengaged while vehicle is at an idle. The clutch can be shimmed to add more freeplay to the clutch. Or the clutch assembly can just be disintegrating, which can simply be seen with the engine off. Those are the only two types of noises I've seen from the clutch.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Zewerr,

It has to be the compressor....the noise I'm getting is more than a couple second adjustement as you described in the case of the cam....You mention it could be shimmed....I've shimmed a couple doors and windows in my day, but not a clutch....is that work best done by a pro, or something that I maybe able to do myself??

Zewerr, as always, thanks for all your time and consideration on the topic.

David

·
Registered
678 Posts
If I remember correctly, it isn't that hard. You'll need to purchase a compressor clutch center bolt kit which should come with an assortment of shims. Just remove the belt, remove the front center bolt off the clutch assembly, and I believe the front section of the clutch just pulls right off. You'll probably see some shims in place already. Just add or remove as necessary.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts