Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking into buying an old diesel. I t has been sitting for a couple years covered. I was wondering what besides a battery could cause it not to start. Maybe gelled over fuel lines? Corroded battery terminal? It is in my town so transportation won't be a problem. Let me know, Thanks for the help. Lars.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Assuming the fuel system has been primed for pressure, my first bet would not be exactly gelled fuel, but dirty fuel. Bacteria grows quite readily in diesel fuel, and will clog everything form the in-tank screen thought the two filters.

Water in the fuel can also be a factor, as a little water can prevent the engine from running.

For best results, the fuel should be drained from the tank, clean the tank, change the screen, and replace the filters. Some people have luck replacing the filters and putting a cleaning additive like "diesel doctor" in the tank, but that can still leav crud in the system.

Of course, the need for a new battery is likely.

Your user name implies that you have a 107 280sl. If that is the case, could you PM me? I have some questions about the model...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts