Benz Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if you think its a bad question, but I've heard that I don't have to get my oil changed for 10k ... Is that true? 2002 C230 K

·
Registered
28 Posts
Oil change

What I know is that your car as a monitoring system that tells you when you should get a oil change. The oil change period is based on miles and how you drive, I heard it could occur between 8k-12 miles. It was a good question.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Actually, I am over 12,000 miles and still not due for a change. I believe it falls between 10k and 14k but it is based on the way you drive. I drive all highway miles, so I'm easy on the car and it is able to tell that. The reason for the long intervals is because 1) synthetic oil is more durable and does not break down like petrolium, and 2) MB has a larger oil pan (like around 8 quarts but don't quote me on that) so there is less wear/dirt per quart of oil.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have the 03 C 230 1.8 and it takes around 7qts of Oil (+ - Oil filter). I just reached 12,000 and the Service A light came on. (I drive 80% Highway )
Even though It is synthetic oil, I had my oil changed at 5,000 and requested Mobil 1 Full synthetic. The dealer wanted to put in Quaker State. MB must really like something about Mobil 1....I have 2 Mobil 1 stickers inside the hood and on all the C230 literature; Mobil 1 is all over the place.

I heard a rumor, (remember rumor) at a local MB dealership that the newer 03, 04 MB's were having complaints from engine noise and problems. There are some lawsuits over this and the plaintiffs were complaining over the length of the time for oil changes. That’s what prompted me to get my oil changed before the scheduled oil change. I believe it is worth paying the extra money at the dealership to get this done.

·
Registered
175 Posts
MB definately like Mobil1. My car was a quart low a while back and I had the dealer put a quart in. They use a special European-car blend of Mobil1. He said it was possible for consumers to buy it, but difficult to find. I'm surprised to hear that a dealer wanted to use Quaker State - I would think that MB would mandate the brand and grade, etc. At least while the car is under warranty.

·
Registered
5 Posts

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Mobil1 0W-40 is sold at Autozone parts stores. The recommeded service products booklet lists several brands of oil as suitable for our cars. My dealer and many others use Castrol Syntec. Quaker State Full Synthetic European Formulas is approved for use in our cars. Mercedes promotes Mobil1 heavily because Mobil1 is a sponsor of the Mercedes F1 effort.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts