Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when changing my air-filter i found it to be saturated with motor oil and there was enough in the outer ring outside of the filter to slightly puddle when held at an angle. upon further inspection i found the vaccuum lines to be also filled with oil. any ideas on the cause of this?

·
Registered
584 Posts
Often, the vacuum lines to the air filter will get oil in them if the vacuum pump diaphragm is leaking. This sounds like alot of oil, though, and I am not sure how much of that would come from the vacuum pump. I guess it would count on how much time it took for this puddle...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i have cleaned the lines out to see how much oil accumulates and how quickly. i also am getting a considerable amount of oil in the air cleaner to the point that it saturates roughly 1/3 of the air filter in roughly a weeks time. just recently the car started smoking a lot more than usual and is going through about a quart of oil every 200-300 miles could this be caused by improper valve adjustment?

·
Registered
584 Posts
That is alot of oil. I don't think that valve adjustment would help any, but you might want to look into the valve seals. One thing that is naggin me is I can't remember whether the breather tube was redesigned to reduce oil blowing out of the valve cover. Regardless, the volume you are getting into the air cleaner is too much.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
is there supposed to be a screen, filter or something in the breather tube between the valve cover and the air cleaner? seems to me that if there was any excess crankcase pressure it would push oil right out of the valve cover and into the air-filter. also, valve seals would account for the excessive amount of exhaust smoke would it not?

·
Registered
584 Posts
Yes, valve seals could account for the excess smoke. I know my 60x engines don't have a screen in the breather, so I am not dure if yours does. My valve covers have a baffle prior to the breather tube to prevent oil from splashing out. I am guessing this to be the case for your engine as well, but that is only a guess.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts